Secondary Picture?!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BaLeavaMD

Praise is what I do!!!
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does your secondary require a picture?

Members don't see this ad.

Hopkins asks you to "affix" a photo to your app...and the GW secondary has a spot for it on their pdf file, but says its optional until the interview. My premed advisor told me to print out a whole bunch because a lot of places ask for it.

It depends on the school. If they ask for one, send one...

Members don't see this ad :)
some schools ask for them, sometimes on their secondary and sometimes when you come for an interview. i probably ended up going through about ten. go to kinko's or walgreens or cvs and get some passport photos. they work perfectly.

passport photos are pretty expensive, aren't they? Are there any other options? :confused:

treetrunk said:
passport photos are pretty expensive, aren't they? Are there any other options? :confused:

They're not that bad, especially if you get a digital file and can print your own.

Or you could use a digital camera and take your picture in front of a nondescript wall. Walgreens/WalMart will print out digicam pictures for only $0.30 apiece.

TheProwler said:
Or you could use a digital camera and take your picture in front of a nondescript wall. Walgreens/WalMart will print out digicam pictures for only $0.30 apiece.

yeah, the best option. You could also go to kinko's and print the digital pic on one of the Kodak print stations -- make sure you get the wallet sized sheet - it comes with ~12 pics.

Wal-Mart and Target also have pretty cheap portrait sittings if you want a real portrait-type pic...I think at Wal-Mart you can get a whole big package of pics (just one pose) for about five bucks. And, you can extra 5x7s to your grandparents and make them happy.

I got 16 2x2s at CVS for $12

For real, people, nix the passport photos. Take a bunch of photos of yourself with your own camera. Then find the one that, when cut out with scissors, will give you a nice centered 2 x 2. Go to CVS and make a dozen copies at 29 cents a pop. MUCH cheaper than passport photos. Trust me.

I agree. I walked into a camera shop wanting 10 pictures and left after they wanted $100. What are these people smoking???

Members don't see this ad :)
they charge about $10 for just two pictures....

Why do they ask for photos? I assume it's to confirm identity... but who knows... maybe they're also pre-screening for hotties... or amusing themselves. I can practically visualize the walls of the adcom office, plastered with the photos of the best, worst, and weirdest looking applicants (complete with comments scrawled on 'em).

I had a friend take a digital SLR picture (2"x2", ~788px x 788px @394dpi), then I used MSPaint (Start->Run...->"mspaint") to put them in a 3x2 grid, which is 4"x6". (1576h x 2376w, @394dpi).

Then I submitted the JPG to Wolf Camera's website:

http://www.printatwolf.com/login/index.asp

and paid $0.25 for 6 photos, or 4.2 cents per picture. Every time I needed a new picture (and I must have sent out thirty or forty) I just had them print another copy. Great quality.

I did not go for passport pictures when I was applying. I went to Walmart and got some of those nicer, cheap color photos. They took a while to develop them though.

Not sure if this will give you the quality of photo that you're looking for... it's what i did for the MCAT...

I went to Bank of America (i bank there) and asked them for a photo. They have the machine ready to take ATM card photos and since they weren't busy they just took some (2 sheets = 4 photos) and gave them to me. :)

This is probably a factor of being a customer, going at a time they weren't busy, and being very friendly. :D

You can submit dig. photos to kodak.com and they ship them right out. The cheapest plac that i've seen, however, is Costco. You have the digital photo on a CD, go to the kiosk, order whatever you want, and they're ready by the time you're done buying groceries. I believe they are about $o.12 per 3x5... which you can cut down.

treetrunk said:

so i paid $10 for 2 passport photos at MCAT time and was sooo :mad: that they were so expensive...this time..i took one of my senior class pix and took it to the CVS picture maker.. i got a sheet of 16 passport photos for $6. so i'm all set for all my secondaries and then some.. plus the picture is a good one.. for some reason, passport photos just don't do me any justice.. ;) hope this helps..

~LR

paranitroxide said:
they charge about $10 for just two pictures....
Uh, not that I've ever seen. Walgreens are $.29 apiece, and even less if you get over 50 pictures.

And CVS is like Walgreens.

so, if I take a pic with my digital camera, what format do I need to take it to Walgreens/Wlamart in? Do I take in my memory card, a CD, or what? Can I make a word document of a bunch of appropriately sized pics and then print that out or will I be able to choose the size and quantity of pics from my memory card/CD at the store? Your help is much appreciated. :)

For the MCAT, I mussed up my hair, did my best to bulge my eyes out, and took a photo of myself at arm's length. Printed it out and taped it to the form. The lady that confirmed my identity thought it was a funny picture. I don't think I'll do that for the secondaries. But I'll still just take my own photos. Heck, I was a photography major for a year, I think I can pull it off.

treetrunk said:
so, if I take a pic with my digital camera, what format do I need to take it to Walgreens/Wlamart in? Do I take in my memory card, a CD, or what? Can I make a word document of a bunch of appropriately sized pics and then print that out or will I be able to choose the size and quantity of pics from my memory card/CD at the store? Your help is much appreciated. :)

Depending on the type of memory card, you might be able to put it in the machine at walgreens. If I recall it has slots for a few different formats. Your best bet is probably to put JPEG files onto a CD, however...every digital printing kiosk I've seen has a CD drive. I always use photoshop to airbrush any blemishes off my face first, though.

At first, I went to Kinko's thinking that they would be able to help (I took my digital camera with a picture already in there, ready to use). The guy didn't even know WTF he was doing, had to ask someone there if they could even print out such pictures, and then proceeded to jam my compact flash card in the machine. Needless to say, it wouldn't work, so I got my butt out of there and headed over to Walmart. The lady at the photocenter was super sweet, knew exactly what she was doing, set me up at the Kodak machine where I printed out exactly 16 2x2 photographs (I'm applying to 16 schools, so it was the perfect number!), all for 3 bucks. My recommendation after this whole fiasco: go to Walmart!!!

treetrunk said:

If you go to Walmart and use their Kodak machine, you can pretty much take any type of picture - I think you can even take one that's already been developed and scan it through their machine. I used a compact flash card from my digital camera. Then, once you load up the picture, you can edit it (zoom in or out, etc.) to make sure the image you want is on there. Finally, you can print it out right there - I got a sheet of 16 photographsm 8x12 I believe - and you're set to go!

albert einstein college of medicine requires a 2x2 picture

What I did was go to the Medical School's Medical Illustration program and got 20 2X2's for $14.00. My picture was taken in a professional studio and it looks "professional". If you have access to something like this, I'd recommend it!

Prowler you are talking about digital pictures.... I am taling about reall passport pictures, the ones you take at walgreens and are given to you after developing.

Wow, everyone here is going to walgreens or using the kodak machien to print out photos. Makes the pictures that I did seem so inadequate....hehe :D

I took a pix of my self with a digital camera, cropped it out with Adobe photoshop, and then printed a whole bunch of tiny ones at home on photo paper that i had.