Secondary Prompt(s) Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dudblue12

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, so I was hoping to get some insight on a small question I got. I tried looking through past posts but I couldn't find a direct answer. So the prompt for one of my secondaries asks to discuss any additional information that the admissions committee should know, and that we can use it to elaborate on any discrepancies in our academic history. I have a good GPA (3.94 sGPA) but my MCAT (507) is a couple points below the national average and several points below the school matriculant average. Should I discuss my MCAT score as an academic discrepancy? I took it last year and the reason why I did not plan a retake was because I didn't have time to practice the MCAT during my senior year. (I also realized I am a person who needs to practice a standardized test as much as possible, and if I got a month or two more of practice I think I could've done better). Any insight would be helpful, thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys, so I was hoping to get some insight on a small question I got. I tried looking through past posts but I couldn't find a direct answer. So the prompt for one of my secondaries asks to discuss any additional information that the admissions committee should know, and that we can use it to elaborate on any discrepancies in our academic history. I have a good GPA (3.94 sGPA) but my MCAT (507) is a couple points below the national average and several points below the school matriculant average. Should I discuss my MCAT score as an academic discrepancy? I took it last year and the reason why I did not plan a retake was because I didn't have time to practice the MCAT during my senior year. (I also realized I am a person who needs to practice a standardized test as much as possible, and if I got a month or two more of practice I think I could've done better). Any insight would be helpful, thank you!
The prompt is for things like why one has a D in Orgo when all other grades are As.

Don't draw attention to a negative.

Pre-meds really, and I mean REALLY overthink this particular prompt.

Use it for anything else that hasn't been covered in your app.

Reactions: 1 user
Okay, sounds good! I already wrote something about the best thing I learned in college (which was how to effectively manage my time), since it was a specific failure of mine that I learned from. Thanks again for your help Goro!