Secondary Q: industrial internship = research?

Started by microTAS
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

microTAS

ulna you didn't
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Q:
I was a research and development intern at a biochemical company. Did anyone list such industrial internships as "research experiences" in the secondaries? If so, were you required to send a letter of recommendation from your boss?

Thanks in advance.
 
microTAS said:
Q:
I was a research and development intern at a biochemical company. Did anyone list such industrial internships as "research experiences" in the secondaries? If so, were you required to send a letter of recommendation from your boss?

Thanks in advance.

I worked for Dow Chemical as a summer intern; my supervisor was more than happy to write a recommendation letter. However I had to discuss with him what I could and and could not say regarding the research that I worked on (you know that contract that you probably signed before and after working at the company). In reality, there was pretty much no limit on what I could say, but this will vary according to your project.
 
Thanks for the advice BDavis and Gfunk. I'm writing to my former boss right now. Too bad this is so last-minute though!