1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Secondary Question "Why did you apply to ..."

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by shovmyfist, Jul 26, 2006.

1. shovmyfist

shovmyfist New Member
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    What is the best way to answer this question?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Oculus Sinistra

Oculus Sinistra Finish it.
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
  4. Pancho Villa

Pancho Villa Senior Member
    2+ Year Member

the way i've done it is that first i click in the text-entry box. i then start pressing the keys on the keyboard with my fingers. sometimes the sequence of keys i press forms an eloquent answer, for the most part it's just illogical rambling. when i'm done, i click the submit button with my mouse. then i fart, waft the smell towards my face, and bask in the fumes and feel proud of myself.

i have found that this is the best way to answer those questions. you should try it.

5. mshollywoodmd

mshollywoodmd Member
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    There is actually another recent thread with the exact same title...lots of people posted there so you may want to check it out...Good Luck :luck:

6. 63768

63768 Guest
    2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    i'd take panchovilla's advice.

that and research the school, take what you like about the school and talk about it.

7. Dr.TobiasFünke

Physician 7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I think you gotta figure that out yourself... why did you apply to that specific school?? If you don't know, don't apply.

8. jackieMD2007

jackieMD2007 ***MVI***
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I put that I thought it was because the dean's picture on their website was hot.
    "I have applied to Hollywood Upstairs Medical School because Dean Nick is a little hottie! Woo!"

9. Rafa

Rafa headbutts like zidane
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    If you don't know why you're applying to a school, you really have no business getting into the school.

10. DF38

DF38 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    What I've done is go to the school's website and browse around to see what interests me. Take a look at the curriculum, opportunities for students (electives, study abroad, etc). For example, for GW I got really excited when I read about all the possibilities for doing fourth year electives abroad, so that was something I talked about.

11. shovmyfist

shovmyfist New Member
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Thanks to thoes who were helpful! I cannot seem to find that other thread which was said to be helpful on this topic. Anyone know of it off hand?

12. defrunner

defrunner I'm Greased Up
    7+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    You should put a little thought into this. If you only applied because it's a 'safety' school, because of its 'name', or because you just felt like adding it, then you pretty much just wasted your money. Adcoms aren't dumb enough to let you in if you have no idea what to expect from their school or specifically why you were interested in the school in the first place.

Just try to keep in mind how you would come off to other people. When you or others read your essay, how do you think you come off? Vague, knowledgeable, interested, aloof, etc? There has to be something about the school you like or are interested in knowing more about because if you just quote things from their website as part of your hyperbole, it'll be pretty evident that you don't have the slightest idea what you're talking about, no matter how convincing you try to make yourself seem. Adcoms aren't omniscient but they do have pride in their institution. Don't be condescending.

Just be honest and mention what drew you to the university. If you're really that stuck, then fine, look up something on their website and just mention an aspect of medicine that sticks out in your mind. Yes, you might have to put in a tiny bit of effort to do a little research.

Otherwise, you are just giving them a donation (thanks!).