Quantcast

Secondary: Shadowing experiences

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Espressso

5+ Year Member
    Reaction score
    Hey! For one of the secondaries, the school asks to provide short descriptions about any shadowing experiences I have had.

I'm curious if I can add scribing to this list? I have shadowed multiple docs, but I want to add this into my secondary some how. Unfortunately, this secondary doesn't ask to detail current work or gap year plans :(

jwilliams1993

OMS-II
    2+ Year Member
    Reaction score
    Some schools have strict policies about what they consider shadowing and some don't seem to have those detailed definitions. Some people think you can't count paid work as shadowing, despite the wealth of information from your observations. See if this school touches on it anywhere in the secondary instructions or on their website. I would say if something asked about shadowing, then only talk about what you listed as "shadowing" in the primary. If the question was something like "explain how you've seen osteopathic medicine in practice," then I think it would be okay to use both shadowing and scribing.

Reactions: 1 user
    D

deleted407021

Scribing isn't typically considered shadowing. I would be careful to follow the instructions on secondaries...

I'm sure you've mentioned it in your primary, though, so they will definitely know about it, especially if you wrote a good description for it.

Espressso

5+ Year Member
    Reaction score
    Scribing isn't typically considered shadowing. I would be careful to follow the instructions on secondaries...

I'm sure you've mentioned it in your primary, though, so they will definitely know about it, especially if you wrote a good description for it.

Haha, I'm following the instructions.. I was simply curious as many on these boards have mentioned before that scribing is "basically paid shadowing".

Espressso

5+ Year Member
    Reaction score
    Did you ever observe another dr while working as a scribe?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Yes. The specialty clinic I work in houses 4 different physicians, and I have charted for all of them.

Espressso

5+ Year Member
    Reaction score
    You could discuss your informal shadowing experience while working and things you observed.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Thanks! I already typed up a draft excluding any of the scribing experiences. I was simply curious as if this was acceptable. Thanks again though.