Secondary to "Complete" average time

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

IDK22

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Was surfing the forums, but couldn't find a place to get an answer to this question:

After approximately how long from submitting your secondary application with LORs do you receive notification that your application is "complete" and onto review for a decision to interview?

Asking because I am waiting for my summer courses to get to AACOMAS to be verified during the academic update period (starting September 1). I don't want to wait too long for submitting my secondaries, but I also want to make sure that my GPA is represented with those summer grades (will boost me from a 3.4ish to 3.5 in both science and cumulative).

I just want to know if I'll have a little grace period between submitting secondaries (so that they are on time) and for my summer grades to update before schools make a decision on me.

Thanks!!!

Members don't see this ad.

bump- any people complete that could tell me the average time from secondaries? Looking for ballpark! Thanks!

Its different for each school. You could be complete and ready for review anywhere from one day to one month after submission, although by September its most likely to be ready for review soon after submission. I wouldn't count on that "grace period". If you want them to review your file after your new grades, submit after your grades are verified. But be careful, some schools require you to submit within a certain time from when you received the secondary. I know KCUMB is one month and I heard Western is two weeks.

Members don't see this ad :)
Its different for each school. You could be complete and ready for review anywhere from one day to one month after submission, although by September its most likely to be ready for review soon after submission. I wouldn't count on that "grace period". If you want them to review your file after your new grades, submit after your grades are verified. But be careful, some schools require you to submit within a certain time from when you received the secondary. I know KCUMB is one month and I heard Western is two weeks.

Thanks, I appreciate the insight! How did you find that info about KCUMB/Western? Does it explicitly say on their secondary or more of an unspoken rule? I've read elsewhere that I should shoot for 2 weeks for every school in order to demonstrate my "interest". I've received RVU, Touros, NYITCOM, UNECOM, VCOM thus far...most likely will end up submitting around 2 weeks exactly.

I don't particularly like the two week rule. I feel an applicant should take his/her time writing the best possible essays instead of rushing it. This early in the cycle I think its wise to take your time. Now if its september/october then yeah submitting within two weeks is important. But that's just my opinion.

If you are submitting your secondaries before your summer grades are verified, I would email (or call) each of those schools and tell them your grades are incoming later on. If your grades are already out but not yet verified by AACOMAS, then include the grades in your email and ask them (politely of course) to include those in your file. If you want you can ask them to put your file on hold until your grades are officially verified.

I remember reading about the 30 day deadline when I was working on KCUMB app but now I can't seem to find where it says that. As for Western, here you go: http://prospective.westernu.edu/osteopathic/apply-12/

EDIT: Western does say on the same page "Applications not completed within two weeks will result in delayed processing" so I guess they will accept it after two weeks

Only thing is that I'm a somewhat borderline applicant so wanted to increase my chances by sending them in as earlier as possible. I guess seeing others already getting interview invites is making me paranoid. I agree though- should not be a rushed job.

I like the idea of asking them to hold off on reviewing my application until those summer grades are in because it will give my GPA a nice boost. I hope that is something that is acceptable to do, will most likely take that route so that I can at least have my secondaries in by time my grades are verified and new GPA calculated.

Thanks for the info!

Reactions: 1 user
Would it be wise to send my LORs in the meantime through Interfolio? It seems to me that it takes some time for schools to receive them...this way when I click submit for my secondaries getting "complete" won't take that long? Thanks!

Would it be wise to send my LORs in the meantime through Interfolio? It seems to me that it takes some time for schools to receive them...this way when I click submit for my secondaries getting "complete" won't take that long? Thanks!
Yeah thats a good idea. But some schools might not be able to actually add your letters to your file until they have your secondary. So just call up those schools and ask them if you can send them the letters before submitting secondaries and see what they say