Secondary turnover time

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

blubearzangel

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
No it won't kill your chances. But still shoot for <2 weeks

is being complete now still considered early or are we on the 'on time' cycle of applicants now?

Members don't see this ad :)
I do look at the date that the secondary went out and the date it is returned. It's hard to know how to interpret it, though. Certainly, if there is a long lag I presume they were filling out other applications before ours.

So let me get this straight, if someone receives their secondary on July 5 and finishes it on August 12, would they be at a disadvantage against someone who received their secondary on August 18 and turns it in on August 25? Do adcoms really care about things like this?

So let me get this straight, if someone receives their secondary on July 5 and finishes it on August 12, would they be at a disadvantage against someone who received their secondary on August 18 and turns it in on August 25? Do adcoms really care about things like this?

Yes, on the whole it matters. The problem is that people overanalyze things like this and put way too much emphasis on them. Subtlety is lost and things because a comparison of extremes.

Get your apps in quickly. Don't adhere to some arbitrary timeline which results in the quality of your app being harmed to do so.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for your input. What would you say is the general consensus for "too long"?
There is no consensus. This has never risen to the level of a discussion among admissions officers to my knowledge. I am offering one person's observation.

I do look at the date that the secondary went out and the date it is returned. It's hard to know how to interpret it, though. Certainly, if there is a long lag I presume they were filling out other applications before ours.
If, by chance, you come across my secondary and think this, I just want you to know that I'm trying to push these out as quickly as I can. I'm also working, moving*, and looking for a new job. The moving part seems to be the hardest because my gf is still in college and pretty soon, I'll be a plane ride away. I also want to answer the questions thoughtfully, so even though I might have written something similar for another school, I want to be sure I answer the prompt correctly. All of this means it takes me a while, but at least I'm keeping everything under two weeks.

If, by chance, you come across my secondary and think this, I just want you to know that I'm trying to push these out as quickly as I can. I'm also working, moving*, and looking for a new job. The moving part seems to be the hardest because my gf is still in college and pretty soon, I'll be a plane ride away. I also want to answer the questions thoughtfully, so even though I might have written something similar for another school, I want to be sure I answer the prompt correctly. All of this means it takes me a while, but at least I'm keeping everything under two weeks.
I don't much care about a two week lag. Poorly thought out or careless responses, on the other hand are deal-breakers.

Reactions: 1 users
I don't much care about a two week lag. Poorly thought out or careless responses, on the other hand are deal-breakers.
What's an example of a "poorly thought out or careless" response? My turnaround for every secondary except one was same day or day after receipt. I made sure there were no outstanding grammatical errors or misspellings, and I tried my best to make write good essays fast.

What's an example of a "poorly thought out or careless" response? My turnaround for every secondary except one was same day or day after receipt. I made sure there were no outstanding grammatical errors or misspellings, and I tried my best to make write good essays fast.
a few:

responses that don't answer the question.
responses that neglect answering all parts of the question.
responses that say 'X is my dream school' on an application to school Y.
responses that are rambling, verbose, unorganized, although this may be less egregious than the previous errors.

overall you sound like you're fine

Reactions: 1 users

I'm a non-trad and I have a demanding full time job and have to fly out of state to see my wife every so often. Would schools hold that against me for turning in secondaries late?

I'm a non-trad and I have a demanding full time job and have to fly out of state to see my wife every so often. Would schools hold that against me for turning in secondaries late?

how will adcoms know this is the reason they are delayed? it shouldnt matter anyway cuz your secondaries wont be "late" until you miss the deadline (dec)

how will adcoms know this is the reason they are delayed? it shouldnt matter anyway cuz your secondaries wont be "late" until you miss the deadline (dec)

Thank you for your reply Primo. By late I meant outside the 2-week window that people always mention. Gyngyn says he/she would take the secondary time lapse into consideration. Sorry I should've worded it more clearly.

Thank you for your reply Primo. By late I meant outside the 2-week window that people always mention. Gyngyn says he/she would take the secondary time lapse into consideration. Sorry I should've worded it more clearly.

all good man. all im trying to say is that there generally isnt a place for you to explain why your secondary isnt turned in within the 2 week frame, so there isnt a point in worrying about it. just do it asap!

Not at the level I'm at. But if anyone is thinking that an Admissions dean would say "Joe took ten days to get his secondary in, while Bill took 15, so let's reject Bill" then you're definitely too paranoid!

My learned colleague just mentioned s/he notes the timing. Nothing about it being strike if too long.
By late I meant outside the 2-week window that people always mention. Gyngyn says he/she would take the secondary time lapse into consideration. Sorry I should've worded it more clearly.

Last edited: