Secret of passing step 2 CS - a must read!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

blackboxmd

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
The main problem in passing step 2 cs is that i think we don"t know what are the criteria on which we are monitored.

my experience is that i studied for 2 weeks and the last 7 days made me pass when i met a friend who had taken usmlesource.com's coaching. He allowed me to see the cases with him. We also practiced together and found out and corrected our mistakes. so practcing is the key.

there are a few points and sp marks u
bad average good excellent

history of chief complaint (1-5 point for this depending on the cheif complaint)

pamhugsfoos each carry 1 point (so around 7 points for them)

so we have to place a lot of importence on pamhugsfoss. UsmleSource.com uses this approach using PAM HUGS FOSS in all the cases which is very useful

now on ur manners
1 point for knocking on door
1 point for behaviour in general ( was he nice)
1 point for washing hands
1 point for draping
1 point for asking permission before examination
1 point - were u able to understand him

and finally 1-4 points for proper physical examination( which i doubt sp knows a lot abt)

finally there is a q like do u like the doctor and will u like to visit him again

so guys u have to practice according to this. sp has to be happy with u and u should cover his points rather than being an excellent doctor.

this may sound an exagerration but i think even a non medico can pass thsi exam becuz it is not a test of ur medical knowledge but ur behavior. The Mnemonic based approach using LIQOR AAA and PAM HUGS FOSS of usmlesource can really make the difference since most people fail in data gathering! Best of luck for you guys!
:luck:

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Aren't you practicing this thing every time you do an H&P in your clinical years? You guys dont have how to do an H&P memorized? That seems crazy to me, it isnt that complicated, no need for stupid gimmiky pnemonics. I havent dont it yet, but i never thought that it would be something to study for.

We practice it everyday and should already know how to do an H and P. I took the test and personally agree with you.

But for you to say "it isn't that complicated" and then say "I haven't done it yet" is hilarious!

I thankfully just passed this thing and didn't study except for the night before approx. 45 minutes. Just approach this like a usual patient encounter in clinic. Be nice, ask about their complaint, and ask pertinent questions. The problems are usually very straightforward.

Relax and know that many people do fine even though they think they are doing terrible. So if you come out of an encounter and think you forgot this or that, just relax, you will be fine.

can you pass this test if you bomb 2 sections of out 12 if all the other sections went well?

Members don't see this ad :)
can you pass this test if you bomb 2 sections of out 12 if all the other sections went well?

Must be, cause I passed. It's all about how you present yourself basically. Don't be a jerk, ask how they are doing, not just what's wrong, and you'll be golden.

Hi guys. For this examination do you also have to make a proper diagnosis, give differentials and recommend treatment?

or is this just testing your ability to communicate and perform all necessary clinical tasks?

You need to come up with a differential and diagnostic tests. Nothing about treatment. Also, consults or admitting patients does not count as a diagnostic test. Read the first part of First Aid CS. It explains all this. Also has a good review of differentials for common chief complaints.

I just took this thing a few days ago and thought it sucked- mainly because the test seems pointless and not too reflective of our doctoring skills- precisely because it has to be so standardized. Not fun. The time limits are a little tight- go through a few practice cases in First Aid while timing yourself if you're worried about it. I would be surprised if I didn't pass- I think most people walk out of there thinking that they missed a ton of little things- I'm sure I did.

One thing I noted was that some of the actors repeated their "challenge question" more than once- the sort of realized they had already asked it and smiled/giggled a bit. I answered again, but we both had a little real-life eye exchange knowing that the actor goofed up. They were on autopilot doing so many encounters, and I can't imagine that they are adequately able to remember everything that was done and discussed on the checklists afterwards. the whole thing was rather ridiculous. You would think it should be the med schools responsibility to not let us graduate without knowing how to do this stuff- part of the med school accreditation.