Secret to getting rid of sdn addiction?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

raindropx

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any advice on how to get rid of an sdn addiction? I've been on this nonstop since I joined...yesterday. Granted, I'm sick and sort of bed ridden temporarily but I would like to be productive! Yes, this is a serious question, one I think many would benefit from.

Members don't see this ad.

Try to stop calling everything an addiction, for starters. ;) You're sick in bed. Spending a lot of time online doesn't constitute abnormal behavior. If you want to do something else, find a cool YouTube channel to follow, read a book, etc. Try to get outside for some fresh air and eat healthful meals.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Get banned

Reactions: 25 users
I too would like to know the answer to this question as I am currently here at the bar on a classic Thirsty Thursday surrounded by beautiful women, but am instead on my phone talking to a bunch of anonymous neurotic premeds. I need to re-evaluate my life.

Reactions: 13 users
Try to stop calling everything an addiction, for starters. ;) You're sick in bed. Spending a lot of time online doesn't constitute abnormal behavior. If you want to do something else, find a cool YouTube channel to follow, read a book, etc. Try to get outside for some fresh air and eat healthful meals.
It is an addiction! I cannot seem to go more than 5min without refreshing. app cycle has just made it worse
Thank you though :)

Try Reddit.
just what I need

Try Reddit.

I used to have a Reddit addiction too, but I just started sorting everything by controversial so I would get deeply disgusted whenever I opened up the comments.

Reactions: 2 users
I too would like to know the answer to this question as I am currently here at the bar on a classic Thirsty Thursday surrounded by beautiful women, but am instead on my phone talking to a bunch of anonymous neurotic premeds. I need to re-evaluate my life.
This will be me during class, bars, everything. What is it about anonymous neurotic premeds that sucks us all in?

I used to have a Reddit addiction too, but I just started sorting everything by controversial so I would get deeply disgusted whenever I opened up the comments.
though they claim their premed threads are much less antagonistic. Never checked for myself

I don't understand how you can be "addicted" to sdn. You guys aren't that entertaining.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)

Hoes love SDN.

Take your eyes off the screen..
Relax
Close Your Eyes
Dream of a utopia
In hale deeply
keep dreaming

Now when you wake up? Make that dream a reality.. you'll be so busy trying to accomplish the dream that you won't even remember what SDN is.

Reactions: 1 user
the real question is why are we still up and on sdn

Listen to an audiobook, it's amazing. Audiobooks are the most low energy media. I mean you have to expend the least amount of energy to consume them. You can literally lay in bed at night with your eyes closed in the dark and still enjoy an audiobook. I recommend Hyperion.

Any advice on how to get rid of an sdn addiction? I've been on this nonstop since I joined...yesterday. Granted, I'm sick and sort of bed ridden temporarily but I would like to be productive! Yes, this is a serious question, one I think many would benefit from.

May I remind you that this is a premedical forum. This is not the place for unprofessionalism. Please consider the rules of this site.

May I remind you that this is a premedical forum. This is not the place for unprofessionalism. Please consider the rules of this site.
Ignored :)

Start responding to every WAMC, repeatedly use a few key phrases you see others use like 'circling the drain,' 'I can't recommend LUCOM,' 'I normally won't offer feedback without a MCAT score,' 'You're fine for DO,' 'Cross off Iowa, Oregon, Indiana, and Louisville...OOS publics favor the home team,' 'do yourself a favor and take another gap year,' 'oh man, that re-take is gonna hurt,' 'Vandy and Wash U don't need the donations but I reluctantly give you permission to throw an app their way if you must,' etc, etc. Every few days toss in a well-crafted 8-10 paragraph gem going against the grain with a semi-controversial diatribe about Obamacare, the economics of healthcare, or impact of affirmative action on admissions, and you'll be all set. Everyone will think you are a SDN intern racking up non-clinical volunteering hours which will give you permanent cover for any addiction issues.

Reactions: 9 users
I think @Nietzschelover is the most addicted of us all, he absolutely radiates detest for SDN and the sheeple that repeatedly say things like "X is unfriendly to OOS" (which is obviously just parroting - not like a lowly premed could read the MSAR stats and understand the advice they're giving, and no way could that advice remain valid and be applicable in many many WAMC cases). And yet, keeps on coming back

I think @Nietzschelover is the most addicted of us all, he absolutely radiates detest for SDN and the sheeple that repeatedly say things like "X is unfriendly to OOS" (which is obviously just parroting - not like a lowly premed could read the MSAR stats and understand the advice they're giving, and no way could that advice remain valid and be applicable in many many WAMC cases). And yet, keeps on coming back

"Invest in MSAR!"

@efle, as Walter White said to Hank, "You got me!" Love getting addiction analysis from someone like you who has been "clean and sober" since, well, I guess not so much.

"Invest in MSAR!"

@efle, as Walter White said to Hank, "You got me!" Love getting addiction analysis from someone like you who has been "clean and sober" since, well, I guess not so much.
You missed the key difference between us in my post - I enjoy this place and its users while it frequently appears you do not. My sticking around is a symptom of having a good time when I'm here, not an inability to walk away...yours not so much

@efle, you are way too smart for such rash (and wrong) conclusions. The misreading continues apparently. Have you noticed that you get into some healthy and spirited tiffs every now and again?

I think SDN is superb (seriously). The information generally is very good, and I especially appreciate info like the Ask Me Anything threads, the Goro guides (like for interviewing), and the comprehensive range of topics covered. I even like the WAMC feature (most of the time) although I think that is the area most susceptible to error (due to insufficient info provided by those seeking WAMC, over-inflated emphasis on one or two aspects of what a WAMC presents, and likely critical factors that cannot be accounted for in that kind of back and forth. I do get concerned if those who genuinely seek the advice take it too literally and don't do their own "due diligence." And I am also concerned that there are trends that get going that may (at least occasionally) lead applicants at least a little bit astray. One thing in particular is the trend of overly global advice on OOS apps to publics. I've seen in other venues that applicants can have good success with out of state publics. Obviously there are some publics that have a mandate and actually advertise that they have no love for OOS apps, but there are a large number that fill anywhere from 15% to 50% or more of their classes with OOS. I also understand that the advice about needing above the median for IS apps in general is solid, but that said, some of the publics that take high percentages of OOS do have ranges that might be attractive for OOS applicants IF their apps contain elements that might be very attractive to these schools aside from simply considering GPA/MCAT alone.

OP has 200 posts in 2 days...dude that is some serious stuff. That is like @Lawper level stuff..

@efle, you are way too smart for such rash (and wrong) conclusions. The misreading continues apparently. Have you noticed that you get into some healthy and spirited tiffs every now and again?

I think SDN is superb (seriously). The information generally is very good, and I especially appreciate info like the Ask Me Anything threads, the Goro guides (like for interviewing), and the comprehensive range of topics covered. I even like the WAMC feature (most of the time) although I think that is the area most susceptible to error (due to insufficient info provided by those seeking WAMC, over-inflated emphasis on one or two aspects of what a WAMC presents, and likely critical factors that cannot be accounted for in that kind of back and forth. I do get concerned if those who genuinely seek the advice take it too literally and don't do their own "due diligence." And I am also concerned that there are trends that get going that may (at least occasionally) lead applicants at least a little bit astray. One thing in particular is the trend of overly global advice on OOS apps to publics. I've seen in other venues that applicants can have good success with out of state publics. Obviously there are some publics that have a mandate and actually advertise that they have no love for OOS apps, but there are a large number that fill anywhere from 15% to 50% or more of their classes with OOS. I also understand that the advice about needing above the median for IS apps in general is solid, but that said, some of the publics that take high percentages of OOS do have ranges that might be attractive for OOS applicants IF their apps contain elements that might be very attractive to these schools aside from simply considering GPA/MCAT alone.
Oh fo sho, though i think the back and forths I have with a couple users about philosophies and policies isn't quite the same as more sweeping condemnations of SDN culture as a bunch of misinformed premeds misleading each other by blindly worshipping adcoms and Med students. It sounds like I've just seen a very biased sample of your posts on this though! It is superb indeed.

Everybody should include OOS programs! No state has enough IS programs to do instate only app that's cray. There's just such a huge range of OOS biases, people often don't know where to place schools on the spectrum of OOS friendliness imo.

Block the site on your laptop and put delete the app from your phone(and if your really that obsessed disable the internet on your phone while at work). That should do the trick.

Reactions: 1 users

This is still missing a controversial diatribe about Obamacare.

Time to hijack this thread. The secret to getting rid of sdn addiction is... to join ssDNA today.

This is now officially a ssDNA (sophists of SDN anonymous) thread. Post here if and only if you're taking a break from the site.

See y'all in 4 months

Status
Not open for further replies.