Seeing double under the Zeiss

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ophthalmologya

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm an international grad interested in ophthalmology who has used my dominant (left) eye my whole life to look under microscopes...I've been tested for steropsis and I pass with flying colors, but now when I look under the Zeiss, or even a slit-lamp, I see two equivalent images (right eye image and left eye image separately). Does anyone know what can be done for this? or is it just a matter of time to train my eyes to see one image?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi,

or is it just a matter of time to train my eyes to see one image?

Thanks!

I'd guess some practice would fix this, most likely. Maybe a latent phoria? Have someone check your motility.

You've probably done this already, but just in case, make sure that both the oculars are set properly, and to the same correction. Then make sure that your PD is right. Don't go by the numbers, which can be a little off. I'm 62mm on the Leica scope, 61mm on the Zeiss, and a 61-62 on most (but not all) Haag-Streit slit lamps. 1/2mm can make a huge difference. Also, if you have one of those huge retina attending 75mm PDs, make sure the oculars can go wide enough for you (we had a resident ahead of me who was off the scale, but still just within the limits of what the Zeiss scope could go to).

Dave

Well, the good news is that you're not suppressing an eye! That one can be a real treat to get over. Have someone measure your phoria and vergence ranges, that's one of the first places I'd start looking for a problem.