Seeking Advice After Failed Step 1

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

spectacularscapula

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I failed Step 1 in May (I got a 189). One of my parents died this winter and I was upset/distracted all semester. Study period came around and I thought I would pull it together, but everything was a blur. I asked about having extra time before starting 3rd year but was told the only option was to take a year off, and I decided to go for it since I thought I would pass (albeit w/ a lower score than I wanted).

When I found about the failure, I regrouped and finished the rotation I was on (internal medicine) and got a High Pass with Distinction with very strong evals. I took one rotation off to retake Step 1, and got a 233. I have done well on my subsequent rotations (no final grades yet, but scored well above the national mean on the only shelf I have taken since resuming rotations). Most importantly, I am feeling better and have learned a lot from this experience, and feel prepared to do well during the rest of med school and residency. I will also still graduate on time.

My adviser said I still have a good shot at my goal (a university-based IM program), but I am still worried. I have done well on the wards, and while I am flattered that some people I have worked with are encouraging me to apply to competitive programs, I am worried that my application will be dismissed because of what happened. I know that all I can do is continue is try to get honors in my remaining rotations/subIs and score as high as I can on Step 2 CK, but is there anything else I can do to compensate? Also, does anyone have advice as to how to frame this when I am asking for my letters of recommendation?

Members don't see this ad.

I don't have much, but I wanted to say I'm sorry. I can't imagine not having my parents around, especially while studying for that test. Everything will work out, just have faith. I would just tell the interviewer the truth of what happened if anyone asks. Anyone with half a heart will understand.

Reactions: 4 users
Great score with the retake. Not a big deal at all. You proved you can do well.

Members don't see this ad :)
Could you set up a meeting with the program director for IM at your school? He/she probably could give you a good idea of where you stand and make suggestions on how to address it on the app. Best of luck to you! I think the fact that you did so well on the retake coupled with a legitimate reason for a lower score the first time will not keep you out of many programs that you would be competitive for if you just had the 233. But that's really just a guess since I'm just an MS4.

Reactions: 1 user
Failing step 1 is not a deal breaker. Make sure you take steps 2ck and cs before apps open and have good letters. You don't need to tell your writers that you failed step 1. Do mention you got honors in the course. That's what I did. Rocked step 2. I even got interviews at 3/4 places that said on their website that don't accept any board failures. Plus your reason for screwing step 1 is quite understandable. Also, set up a meeting with your school's PD. Have your personal statement ready for him to read. Mine gave me some good tips that I didn't think about. Also have a preliminary list of where you are thinking to apply.

Reactions: 1 users
I failed Step 1 in May (I got a 189). One of my parents died this winter and I was upset/distracted all semester. Study period came around and I thought I would pull it together, but everything was a blur. I asked about having extra time before starting 3rd year but was told the only option was to take a year off, and I decided to go for it since I thought I would pass (albeit w/ a lower score than I wanted).

When I found about the failure, I regrouped and finished the rotation I was on (internal medicine) and got a High Pass with Distinction with very strong evals. I took one rotation off to retake Step 1, and got a 233. I have done well on my subsequent rotations (no final grades yet, but scored well above the national mean on the only shelf I have taken since resuming rotations). Most importantly, I am feeling better and have learned a lot from this experience, and feel prepared to do well during the rest of med school and residency. I will also still graduate on time.

My adviser said I still have a good shot at my goal (a university-based IM program), but I am still worried. I have done well on the wards, and while I am flattered that some people I have worked with are encouraging me to apply to competitive programs, I am worried that my application will be dismissed because of what happened. I know that all I can do is continue is try to get honors in my remaining rotations/subIs and score as high as I can on Step 2 CK, but is there anything else I can do to compensate? Also, does anyone have advice as to how to frame this when I am asking for my letters of recommendation?

OP, checking in to commend you and I cannot imagine your loss and I would have been in much worse shape. What's ridiculous is that I can not find a reason why your school would not allow you to delay 3rd year when it seems to be allowable at my school with 20% of students doing it.

I advise you to consistently make this circumstance apparent during the application process and interview trails without shame for trying to a play a sympathy card. I can only imagine what not losing a parent would have done to a 233 and someone who at this point knows he or she Internal Medicine. Many more average applicants would have at the very least take a year off if not quit medicine entirely.

Step 1 was never a measurement of a student's ability but a measure of how much knowledge they've accumulated on the day they take it and I say that because of the varying circumstances by which students take it (some have PhDs and Masters, some take it after third year, some take it after 3 years of dedicated study in a foreign country).

I would say that you're very competitive for an academic medicine program but my opinion carries no influence. As someone else said, anyone with half a heart would understand your situation. Best of luck.

Sorry for your loss.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Thank you all for the kind words; I appreciate all of the advice. @icd22: it's reassuring to hear about your experience with interviews because that was one of the things I was most concerned about. My adviser has been really helpful and I will also be meeting with the IM Department Chair at some point in the coming months to have them review my personal statement, etc. In the mean time, I am just going to keep focusing on my academics and ECs and hope for the best. I also have faith that it will all work out in the end. Best of luck to all of you and happy holidays.

The death of a parent is a very serious issue. I would have deferred my exam due to inability to focus and study properly. That said, this should be a minor issue in light of the circumstance.