Seeking Advice for Fall 2020 Pre-Reqs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bamboo21

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys!

Please help me move my question to the appropriate thread...I wasn't really sure where this fits.

Here's the situation I am in: I am doing my pre-reqs through a school in NYC. All courses are being offered optionally online, but labs and small group discussions can be in person.
I've emailed a handful of vet schools, the majority of which say they will accept the online coursework/lab (however some highly advised against it).

I don't really want to be in NYC for the next wave of covid, nor do I want to be stuck paying NYC rent for a box sized apartment when the city is completely dead and all my other friends have left; also, all of my usual volunteer positions have closed down so I'm not getting any pre-vet experience. Another thing: I'm not totally comfortable riding NYC public transit in to school everyday with covid still going on...

I want to move back to the midwest for the semester to save money, be near friends and family, to shadow my usual equine vet, and to be able to have a car and get out in nature if things shut down again.

So, my question is, is it a bad idea to take everything online this fall? Do you guys think it would really hurt my chances of getting in (even for the schools who said it's OK to take online lab)? Unfortunately my lab is built in to the class so I can't take it separately later on (I'm mostly worried about doing the lab online as I know it's important to get hands on lab skills before vet school). I'm worried that someone else might get into vet school over me if they took the in-person lab and I didn't.

Thank you so much for any input!!

Members don't see this ad.

Idk I think it might actually be a smart idea to go online. For safety more than anything else. This is still unprecedented times we are in and I’d hope admission committees would not ding you for electing to not risk your health by going in person. Sounds like you’d be getting experience too, so it’s not a complete negative situation. I wouldn’t want to be in NYC either.

Reactions: 2 users
Thank you for the input!! It's really reassuring to hear that.

Members don't see this ad :)
No problem, good luck with apps, stay safe and stay well!

Hey guys!

Please help me move my question to the appropriate thread...I wasn't really sure where this fits.

Here's the situation I am in: I am doing my pre-reqs through a school in NYC. All courses are being offered optionally online, but labs and small group discussions can be in person.
I've emailed a handful of vet schools, the majority of which say they will accept the online coursework/lab (however some highly advised against it).

I don't really want to be in NYC for the next wave of covid, nor do I want to be stuck paying NYC rent for a box sized apartment when the city is completely dead and all my other friends have left; also, all of my usual volunteer positions have closed down so I'm not getting any pre-vet experience. Another thing: I'm not totally comfortable riding NYC public transit in to school everyday with covid still going on...

I want to move back to the midwest for the semester to save money, be near friends and family, to shadow my usual equine vet, and to be able to have a car and get out in nature if things shut down again.

So, my question is, is it a bad idea to take everything online this fall? Do you guys think it would really hurt my chances of getting in (even for the schools who said it's OK to take online lab)? Unfortunately my lab is built in to the class so I can't take it separately later on (I'm mostly worried about doing the lab online as I know it's important to get hands on lab skills before vet school). I'm worried that someone else might get into vet school over me if they took the in-person lab and I didn't.

Thank you so much for any input!!

I would get out. It sounds like you'll have an environment much more conducive to your goals if you stay at home, and if they say they'll accept it without any caveats, they truly will. Most schools (not all, but most) are being very understanding about COVID-related class limitations. FWIW, I also only had 2 schools be even remotely picky about community college and/or online classes during non-COVID times. So unless one of those schools is your in-state, go with the ones who don't have any kind of caveat!

I would get out. It sounds like you'll have an environment much more conducive to your goals if you stay at home, and if they say they'll accept it without any caveats, they truly will. Most schools (not all, but most) are being very understanding about COVID-related class limitations. FWIW, I also only had 2 schools be even remotely picky about community college and/or online classes during non-COVID times. So unless one of those schools is your in-state, go with the ones who don't have any kind of caveat!

Thank you for the feedback! This is so helpful. It seems like the majority of schools have absolutely no problem with it, so I think I'm going to get out..