Seeking advice for MCAT / Application timing??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

orangezz98

Reaction score
Hi all! Here is my current situation.

Was supposed to take the MCAT in March but due to covid got rescheduled for June. In March I was scoring anywhere between 512-517 range on my practice tests (Princeton review and AAMC), I started studying again for my June test dates and my practice scores were a bit lower then that.

Ended up taking it mid June and scored a 504 :( definitely know I can do better. So I am currently studying hard for the August 1st test date or maybe the August 8th test date - I think an extra week would help me but I am still trying to apply this cycle, so would August 8th not be a smart move?

I applied to two schools to get my primary verified and if I understand the application process, then those apps have been sent to the two schools (along with my mcat score). I believe I meet their gpa requirements / they send secondaries to all so I should be receiving that soon. I am going to add more schools to my list and hopefully get all those secondaries in. I am just not sure how the MCAT works, I have put in that I am going to take it again in August, will schools see that and wait for my score to make a decision on me (assuming my primary, secondary, letters and everything else is in. I would get my score for August 1st on August 18th, and the 8th on the 25th. I don't know if these are too late, but I am really still trying to apply this cycle. Does anyone have any advice?

Members don't see this ad.

As long as it gets in before labor day, I think you will be fine. Just submit your apps to other schools after you receive your score in case you still don't get your desired score. Also, make sure to check how each school deals with retakes. Some schools average all your takes, while others consider only your most recent score.

Reactions: 1 user
Some schools will wait to make a decision on you, some will not. If any of your subsection scores is a below a 125, it's also possible they may screen you out.

Kevin W, MCAT Tutor
Med School Tutors

As long as it gets in before labor day, I think you will be fine. Just submit your apps to other schools after you receive your score in case you still don't get your desired score. Also, make sure to check how each school deals with retakes. Some schools average all your takes, while others consider only your most recent score.
ok thank you! so you think I should wait until mid august to submit the primaries to those other schools? I can pre write the secondaries

Members don't see this ad :)
Some schools will wait to make a decision on you, some will not. If any of your subsection scores is a below a 125, it's also possible they may screen you out.

Kevin W, MCAT Tutor
Med School Tutors
ok thank you! so I have received the secondaries from those two schools so I am hoping they don't screen me out. would you suggest sending my primaries to the rest of the schools on my list/doing the secondaries or waiting until I have that mcat score in Mid August (seems a little late to wait)

ok thank you! so I have received the secondaries from those two schools so I am hoping they don't screen me out. would you suggest sending my primaries to the rest of the schools on my list/doing the secondaries or waiting until I have that mcat score in Mid August (seems a little late to wait)

While it'll definitely put you in a better spot once you get your (improved) score, submitting/prewriting now might lead to you applying to schools you shouldn't have applied to in the first place if your score isn't what you hope.

- Kevin

ok thank you! so you think I should wait until mid august to submit the primaries to those other schools? I can pre write the secondaries
As long as you submit your secondaries before labor day, you will be in a good spot. Just pre-write some of the most common secondary prompts and narrow down your list of schools once you receive your score back.