Seeking advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NLITTLE0010

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,
So I've been on here for years now but have just been a silent observer. Imma lay out my situation and see what you guys think.

I started out undergrad at the university of Kentucky and done really well the first year. However this whole time my dad was struggling with melanoma brain mets. His sickness was dire and I transferred home to the university of pikeville to be closer to him. My grades dropped dramatically and my dad passed away during finals of my sophomore semester. In hindsight I shoulda took a year off and cleared my mind. I have repeated several classes and chemistry has not been kind to me. I have a 2.9 combined gpa from my 2 schools and I graduate in May with a bachelors in biology. I guess as my grades got worse my confidence feel dramatically. I feel quite defeated because I went from being top notch to sub par. However as of late I've decided to put the past behind me and make the most out of my situation. The school I want to go to is KYCO. Optometrist was originally not in my plans but after having a neurobiology class I was hooked on the eye. Throughout my college career I've been in many extracurriculars but I won't bore you. I have over 5000+ volunteer hours. Don't ask it's crazy lol. Any way guys the deadline for the app is March 31st I need to get in and shadow some I know this. But I feel confident I can get a 320 on the oat at the very least with a month or 2 of studying. Plus I can get a letter of recommendation from someone very close to the program and a sitting member of the board of the school. What do you guys think? I push hard for the March 31st deadline or relax get some experience? Sorry for the lengthy explanation but I'm grateful for any response. Thanks guys we are all in this together. :)

Members don't see this ad.

Welcome! Your situation sounds hard and you have been through a lot! Your GPA is okay as long as you score a higher OAT. Have you started working on your application or essays? It's hard to say how the admissions committee will view your application and your unique situation. Your OAT will really come into play so be sure to study and take timed practice tests! Good luck!

Welcome! Your situation sounds hard and you have been through a lot! Your GPA is okay as long as you score a higher OAT. Have you started working on your application or essays? It's hard to say how the admissions committee will view your application and your unique situation. Your OAT will really come into play so be sure to study and take timed practice tests! Good luck!
Thank you so much for the reply. I have started the app and the essays they aren't finished but I would say they are in the brainstorming phase. If I can get an interview it would be great just to explain myself. Thanks again

Knowing someone on the board is EXTREMELY helpful. Everyone always says it's all about networking, and guess what, it is! Regardless, I'd aim higher on the OAT. 330 may be OK, but with a low GPA, it's tough. What is your science GPA? Applying late in the cycle is also going to make it more difficult for you, but honestly, if you have solid stats and you know someone close to the program, it can be very helpful in securing an interview. KYCO being a new school shouldn't be as competitive as others. Good luck.