Seeking Advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PriamTRH

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I was interested in dentistry since I had some extractions when I was younger, but my family disparaged the profession and threatened to cut me off if I were to apply to dental school instead of medical school. I recently learned that they had tried to plan an arranged marriage with some foreign girl whom I've never met so I stopped speaking to my family and have become financially independent. I currently have a 3.480, I'm in my last semester and I also work as a research assistant at a biotech company. I've held positions in clubs since I was a freshman, I work as a medical scribe at an ER for about 6 months now, I've done research for two years with no publications, I worked as a coin salesman for 1 yr, I've been a chemistry TA for 1.5 years, and I've accumulated over 150 hours of volunteering from a childrens' hospital and a cancer institute. I have never took the MCAT and I never intend to; I actually sold off all the materials that my parents sent me and bought DAT books off amazon. What do I need to do now to get into dental school? I don't intend to apply this cycle because I need to save up a bit and pay off my cards.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi,

I was interested in dentistry since I had some extractions when I was younger, but my family disparaged the profession and threatened to cut me off if I were to apply to dental school instead of medical school. I recently learned that they had tried to plan an arranged marriage with some foreign girl whom I've never met so I stopped speaking to my family and have become financially independent. I currently have a 3.480, I'm in my last semester and I also work as a research assistant at a biotech company. I've held positions in clubs since I was a freshman, I work as a medical scribe at an ER for about 6 months now, I've done research for two years with no publications, I worked as a coin salesman for 1 yr, I've been a chemistry TA for 1.5 years, and I've accumulated over 150 hours of volunteering from a childrens' hospital and a cancer institute. I have never took the MCAT and I never intend to; I actually sold off all the materials that my parents sent me and bought DAT books off amazon. What do I need to do now to get into dental school? I don't intend to apply this cycle because I need to save up a bit and pay off my cards.
Finish the prerequisites and take the DAT! You will also need some shadowing hours with a general dentist if you haven't got that already. Your EC's look good and your GPA is good enough.

Hi,

A soap opera in the making.
2015 Guide to Dental School Admission

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Finish the prerequisites and take the DAT! You will also need some shadowing hours with a general dentist if you haven't got that already. Your EC's look good and your GPA is good enough.
Thank you!

You should be proud of yourself

Reactions: 1 users
Take all pre-reqs (similar to pre-reqs for med school)
Study and take the DAT and go from there. Do not take the mcat if you seriously plan to go to dental school because that will be on your app and cause dental schools to look down on you.
good luck!

Last edited:
Take all pre-reqs (similar to pre-reqs for med school)
Study and take the DAT and go from there. Do not take the mcat if you seriously plan to go to dental school because that will be on your app and cause dental schools to look down on you.
good luck!

Thanks. I don't intend to take it, I sold off my MCAT books 5 days after receiving them because I never wanted to be a physician in the first place. I still have rather disturbing memories from my childhood where I can vividly remember my parents telling me that I need to be a doctor or I'll bring shame to our family.

Check out the breakdown thread and take what you will from it as you prepare for your DAT. I was in a similar situation as you, so I can empathize. Let me know if you have any questions, and good luck!

Hey Op.

I am so proud of you for standing up for yourself. Great move.

At the same time I want to tell you something.

Don't break bridges with mom and dad, you have only one dad and one mom.

Don't let them ever control you, but don't end your relationship with them, they raised you and worked hard to make you where you are today.

They are not perfect but you they are your parents.

Anyway.

Back to dentistry.

I think you'll make it as long as you set your heart and work hard to reach it.

I advice you to stop by the dat forum and learn from others how they prepared for the test

Also, try to improve your gpa as much as possible.

Reactions: 1 users
Did you use the same headmotion that's in your avatar when you said no to your parents? lol
It was used in conjunction with sassy facial expressions and multiple snaps following a "Z" pattern.

Reactions: 3 users