Seeking Advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

M1ready

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
3rd year DO student, 442 COMLEX Level 1 score, first attempt. Didn't plan on taking Step, as I am simply not that great of a test taker. What are my chances of matching into Neurology residency program?

Members don't see this ad.

At most university programs, chances are very slim to none unless you rotate there and impress the heck out of them (even if you do that at my lower tier program the PD won't grant you an interview without step1).

With the big number of neurology programs that recently opened, there are several that are community based. This also includes some that transferred over from the DO side. Riverside community, Desert Regional, St. Vincent, Larkin, Sky Ridge, HCA in FL, and others. You may find better luck at some places.

Someone will come after me and post a graph from the NRMP report that gives you a false sense of confidence. Just like pointing out that someone with 230's on step1 matching IR. It happens, but this is the exception not the rule. Besides, you never know the back story of this data point.

Reactions: 4 users
At most university programs, chances are very slim to none unless you rotate there and impress the heck out of them (even if you do that at my lower tier program the PD won't grant you an interview without step1).

With the big number of neurology programs that recently opened, there are several that are community based. This also includes some that transferred over from the DO side. Riverside community, Desert Regional, St. Vincent, Larkin, Sky Ridge, HCA in FL, and others. You may find better luck at some places.

Someone will come after me and post a graph from the NRMP report that gives you a false sense of confidence. Just like pointing out that someone with 230's on step1 matching IR. It happens, but this is the exception not the rule. Besides, you never know the back story of this data point.
Would you say that a 210 Step 1 has a better chance at Neuro than a 500+ COMLEX only student?

Members don't see this ad :)
2020 Neurology for DO Seniors. All 18 applicants with <500 Level 1 matched.

1597124099253.png

Reactions: 1 user
Yes I have heard there is a handful of schools who require Step. I know my chances at a high tier school are out, but that is fine as long as I can match somewhere. Will doing really well on Level 2 help my chances?

Yes I have heard there is a handful of schools who require Step. I know my chances at a high tier school are out, but that is fine as long as I can match somewhere. Will doing really well on Level 2 help my chances?
Depends. If a program is the type that is willing to take COMLEX in lieu of USMLE, then yes. If the PD is fixated on USMLE, then no COMLEX score will make up for not having a step1 score.

3rd year DO student, 442 COMLEX Level 1 score, first attempt. Didn't plan on taking Step, as I am simply not that great of a test taker. What are my chances of matching into Neurology residency program?
Former DO and community programs are open to you..

Reactions: 1 users
Ok just did a quick search in neuro forum and found a newish thread discussing this.

@NOLADO84 claims he matched a university program with only COMLEX

Hopefully he/she can drop by and give insight

Reactions: 1 users
Tis true.
Can you provide any insight on my chances at matching at a university and/or community based Neuro program I would really appreciate it. Can also message me if you'd prefer.

You're fine - neuro super uncomp, but that low of a score means you won't likely match at a well known acedemic program in the city, so focus on comm programs.

Break 500 on Level 1 should be your goal, even if you are a poor test taker.

Can you provide any insight on my chances at matching at a university and/or community based Neuro program I would really appreciate it. Can also message me if you'd prefer.

I have no clue. My COMLEX was considerably higher than yours. I got interviews from > 15 university programs. You just have to do your research and find out which programs are DO friendly.

Reactions: 2 users