Seeking opinions...close to e-submit

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rollredroll

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Howdy SDNers,

I am very close to e-submitting my app (Transcript and LOE's received today, just need to finish my PS, hoping to finish by end of wknd). Here's my story: In 4 years at University of Michigan (not to be confused with Michigan State) I turned in a 3.16 overall GPA with a 3.04 Sci GPA. In my junior and senior years, both overall and sci GPA's are around 3.6 so I think I have a nice upward trend. DAT stats are 20AA/20TS/21PAT.

Here's the list of schools I am considering. If possible, I'd really appreciate some feedback on these schools as well as any other advice you can offer. Thanks very much and good luck to everyone. Feel free to PM if you want.

Penn
Tufts
Columbia
Michigan
Maryland
Tennessee (I'm a TN res)
Kentucky
Louisville
UMDNJ
UIC
Case
UoP
USC
VCU
Colorado
Marquette

Members don't see this ad.

can I get some love here?

love.jpg

Members don't see this ad :)
I have heard only negative things about NYU from some people I trust (mostly they fail ~20% of the class after the first year, collect their tuition money and show you the back door)

Let's look at this practically and don't take this the wrong way, but you're stats are good, not awesome, but very good. Good enough to get you in somewhere, but not the greatest as you see compared to those who chose to brag about their stats on these boards. You always here the analogy of admissions committees having 3 piles...Yes, Maybe, and the Trash Bin. I think you are fine.
There is nothing wrong with applying to several schools, but just make sure that you do it smartly in your situation. Your best chances are obviously Tenn and U of M by virtue of ugrad. Do your homework before you waste your time and money on other options! ie. Colorado only takes students from Colorado or the surrounding mountain states = you are pissing away $60 if you apply. I learned that the hard way! Check the trends, many state schools are VERY instate like Kentucky and Louisville. You have some great dental schools listed there but be practical. Jigaboo is dead on here, I know NYU doesn't sound that stellar to you, but places like NYU, Case, Temple, (or just about any private institution) are what you are looking at as schools that tend to take people in your situation. Granted, those first two don't work out for you. In state schools owe a service to the state, and those out of state students at state schools are often the cream of the crop. There are also some serious trends with race, religion, etc. check out what students say on here, you'll be surprised by the practices of some schools.
Good luck, make sure you have all the pre-req's for all those schools too, lots of schools have special and just plain stupid requirements. Make sure you have all the coursework and whatnot before your application is tossed because you are .5 credits of psychology short!