Seeking opinions on challenge/dilemma essays

Started by bonjour13
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

bonjour13

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello all. I am trying to write my "challenge/ethical dilemma" essays, but I am running into a problem. Looking back, all of the truly challenging situations I have faced have dealt with very personal and sensitive topics. In particular, I had two mentally ill friends in college, and these friendships placed me in a couple of extremely difficult situations (so difficult they might even sound far-fetched to admissions committees). Does anyone have any insight on just how personal is too personal for these essays?
 
For this particular essay topic, if it ain't personal, it probably doesn't fit. Give your friends clear pseudonyms (ex. "my friend 'John' had") and start drafting. Edit for respectful tone and discretion, but not to the point that you're too vague to communicate the seriousness of the situation.
 
For this particular essay topic, if it ain't personal, it probably doesn't fit. Give your friends clear pseudonyms (ex. "my friend 'John' had") and start drafting. Edit for respectful tone and discretion, but not to the point that you're too vague to communicate the seriousness of the situation.

Thanks for the helpful advice!