Seeking program recommendations

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Genesee

Membership Revoked
Removed
Reaction score
I want to go out into the boonies and do full spectrum of general surgery ... A surgeon I admire does exactly this in a town of 10,000 out west, in the county hospital. Not interested in fellowship.

Any recommendations on programs to be looking at on FREIDA that have great operative experience, not malignant, not too focused on didactics / academics, practical floor experience not scut...?

adhering to 80 hour maximum is a must!!!

Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

I want to go out into the boonies and do full spectrum of general surgery ... A surgeon I admire does exactly this in a town of 10,000 out west, in the county hospital. Not interested in fellowship.

Any recommendations on programs to be looking at on FREIDA that have great operative experience, not malignant, not too focused on didactics / academics, practical floor experience not scut...?

Thank you
There are a couple of rural surgery residencies. OHSU, Mayo, Bassett. Search rural surgery residency and there are like 12 programs in the US.

Thank you

Look at UT Chattanooga.

Members don't see this ad :)
Adhering to 80 hour maximum is a must!!!
animated_resource___flag_by_misteraibo-d5as2vv.gif

Reactions: 5 users
There are a couple of rural surgery residencies. OHSU, Mayo, Bassett. Search rural surgery residency and there are like 12 programs in the US.

any opinions on OHSU and Bassett?

Look at UT Chattanooga.

any personal opinion ? worried about diversity

Heaven forbid I want to abide by a federal law and not compromise patient safety and my own wellbeing for the sake of hospital profits, right? lmao, gg

Heaven forbid I want to abide by a federal law and not compromise patient safety and my own wellbeing for the sake of hospital profits, right? lmao, gg

The 80 hour work week is not a federal law. Now I do think the rule is a worthy one, but its not something I would put as one of your main concerns. Your main concern is getting good training so you are comfortable from day 1 in a rural setting. You may be the only surgeon in the general area. Do you think your patients will expect that you adhere to an 80 hour work week and if they happen to get sick at hour 81, well that's just tough?

Reactions: 2 users
any personal opinion ? worried about diversity

Yes, a good personal opinion.

Diversity of doctors or diversity of patients?

I’d say look into the program because it fit the goals of someone looking to be a rural general surgeon. I’m not sure why the diversity of the program participants would matter much. But yes it’s a program in the Southeast with a lot of white guys, but not all white guys. You can easily look at the program page and investigate the faculty and resident makeup.

Reactions: 3 users
The 80 hour work week is not a federal law. Now I do think the rule is a worthy one, but its not something I would put as one of your main concerns. Your main concern is getting good training so you are comfortable from day 1 in a rural setting. You may be the only surgeon in the general area. Do you think your patients will expect that you adhere to an 80 hour work week and if they happen to get sick at hour 81, well that's just tough?

Sorry, I didnt think replying to you was held to the same standards as a state bar examination. You and I both know what I meant by calling it a federal law. And strong strawman argument by comparing the hours I will put in as a rural general surgeon versus a trainee at an academic hospital

Yes, a good personal opinion.

Diversity of doctors or diversity of patients?

I’d say look into the program because it fit the goals of someone looking to be a rural general surgeon. I’m not sure why the diversity of the program participants would matter much. But yes it’s a program in the Southeast with a lot of white guys, but not all white guys. You can easily look at the program page and investigate the faculty and resident makeup.

If you're not sure why the diversity of program participants would matter much then thats because it doesnt. I was more concerned about the area itself. Your privilege is showing.

Wow - guess what, I'm guessing, no one will do anymore? Respond to your thread. I don't know if you got the memo (maybe you didn't), but SDN is now kinder and gentler, and insulting other members is not allowed. Calling someone out for "privilege" is not in the calculus.

As for the "strawman" you mention (which it isn't), I am not a surgeon, but an EM doc in a rural hospital. To train in a rural program, in my opinion, is doing it backwards. If you train in a busy, academic program, when you are out in the boonies, all by yourself, no backup, you'll recognize situations that you have seen before. That's residency training - pattern recognition.

But, as you mention a strawman and privilege in one post, I think you've dug yourself into a hole.

~~~~Deleting post after apollyon's response haha~~~~
-Comically entitled responses to two folks (thoracic guy and lucidsplash) who have been providing pretty valuable feedback for a long time on here.

Reactions: 1 user
Keep watching your post count and likes received go up on this site, you have little of value in the real world

Haha alright man. 19,000 posts in 16 years - on some circel jerking DO-promoting website in the prime of your late teens and/or 20s.. Now an old man bragging online about the beer you're drinking. Consult monkey. Why do you still spend time on here? Get lonely while waiting for your wife and her boyfriend to come home? Need I go on?

This site used to be about good advice, now its just the same 20 catty users liking each others posts and thousands of pre-meds parroting what they say while being sold as products by some faceless company

I actually tried and asked a reasonable question before one of your coveted users Thoracicguy came on here with his soapbox about 80 hour rule

But yeah, ban me, because I'm harming the image of this product

I actually tried and asked a reasonable question before one of your coveted users Thoracicguy came on here with his soapbox about 80 hour rule

But yeah, ban me, because I'm harming the image of this product
No, this:
Haha alright man. 19,000 posts in 16 years - on some circel jerking DO-promoting website in the prime of your late teens and/or 20s.. Now an old man bragging online about the beer you're drinking. Consult monkey. Why do you still spend time on here? Get lonely while waiting for your wife and her boyfriend to come home? Need I go on?
But, hey, you do you.

I've always felt we need a good trolling on occasion to keep things spicy. Keeps people on their toes.

I was coming back to expand on my previous post, but it appears that's unnecessary. Res ipsa loquitor.

Status
Not open for further replies.