Seeking Reapplication Advice! :-)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JoeyWeelahMD

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Here's my situation:

I submitted my primaries very late (mid-Oct). applied to <10 schools

I got 3 IIs, 6 Rs

Brief summary of experiences:
GPA 3.6+, MCAT 510+
25 yo URM

50+ hrs shadowing

Clinical
1.5 yrs paid
1 year pathology lab

Volunteering
~200 hours medical settings
~200 hours non-clinical

Research
1 year involvement (no pubs)

From my perspective, all my interviews went pretty badly, in that I didn't prepare hardly for them.

Given all this info:
Should I reapply now or wait a year?

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
There's nothing wrong with your app! You had three IIs out of six target schools (a number which was way too low) and late ones at that.

Work on interview skills.

I can't recommend an MCAT retake.

Continue with volunteering, because you have to have an answer for your next possible interview at U WA or WSU for the question of "how have you improved since last cycle?"

I suggest the following schools next cycle:
U WA
WSU
Rochester (maybe)
Hofstra (maybe)
Albert Einstein (maybe)
UCF (maybe)
Pitt (maybe)
U IA
U Toledo
Dartmouth
U VM
Miami
Tufts
George Washington
Georgetown
SLU
Albany
Rush
Rosy Franklin
NYMC
MCW
VCU
EVMS
Wayne State
Netter
Jefferson
Temple
Drexel
Creighton
Tulane
Loyola
Uniformed Services University/Hebert (just be aware of the military service commitment)
Oakland-B
Seton Hall
Nova MD
CUSM
Kaiser
Any DO program. I can't recommend Touro-NY, Nova, Wm Carey, LUCOM, for different reasons. MSUCOM? Read up on Larry Nasser and you decide. LMU has an accreditation warning, which concerns me.

Reactions: 1 user
@Goro! Wasn't going to ask for a school list because I thought it would be a lot of work, but you provided one! Thank you!

You know a lot so I'm sure there's some specific reasons behind the schools you chose. I wouldn't demand an explanation behind each choice, but could you generally describe why these schools? Also, should I not go for Wake Forest again?

Members don't see this ad :)
@Goro! Wasn't going to ask for a school list because I thought it would be a lot of work, but you provided one! Thank you!

You know a lot so I'm sure there's some specific reasons behind the schools you chose. I wouldn't demand an explanation behind each choice, but could you generally describe why these schools? Also, should I not go for Wake Forest again?
I don't think that Wake would give you any love after a poor interview, while your state schools will.

think about applying to some rural medical schools! They fit with your background and you would likely get an interview. Geisinger (formerly commonwealth) would be a good option, Minnesota and North Dakota may be good options too depending on their in-state rules.

You're doing the right things. The lack of preparation is a bit concerning and may hurt you at schools which you already interviewed at, but hopefully you can overcome it. Good luck!