Seeking Visa advise. SON from 2 different countries for residency and fellowship?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Vinayak_sindh

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Guys question for you. It affects my residency decision so posting here. Can one have J1 extension for fellowship after residency by getting second statement of need from a different country than the country from where he got statement of need for residency.
Reason I am asking is because I am currently a permanent resident of one country(Canada) and I am going to lose permanent residency during (medical) residency in US. Then only country I can go to is my country of origin and cannot go to previous country. Can I get a statement of need for fellowship from my country of origin in that case?

Members don't see this ad.

You need to contact the ECFMG, and do it now.

No one here can answer that definitively.

Reactions: 1 user
Guys question for you. It affects my residency decision so posting here. Can one have J1 extension for fellowship after residency by getting second statement of need from a different country than the country from where he got statement of need for residency.
Reason I am asking is because I am currently a permanent resident of one country(Canada) and I am going to lose permanent residency during (medical) residency in US. Then only country I can go to is my country of origin and cannot go to previous country. Can I get a statement of need for fellowship from my country of origin in that case?

No you are not permitted to change the country when you apply for a second Statement of Need.
Your premise - that you will lose your status as permanent resident of Canada - is not entirely true either.
Others have filed to renew their PR card about six months before expiry and gone home to Canada to pick it up and then go right back to the US. The ECFMG will not allow you to change the country of last permanent residence.

Members don't see this ad :)
No you are not permitted to change the country when you apply for a second Statement of Need.
Your premise - that you will lose your status as permanent resident of Canada - is not entirely true either.
Others have filed to renew their PR card about six months before expiry and gone home to Canada to pick it up and then go right back to the US. The ECFMG will not allow you to change the country of last permanent residence.

wow i guess you are truly a new canadian (welcome!), you need to have stayed more than 3 years of the past 5 years in Canada to be able to renew your PR card, so obviously that was not the case for OP.

The fact it wont let you change country, if tru, is absurd. People change country of residency all the time.

It's not absurd, really. Their point is you can't change the past. If you were living in Canada from December 2013 to March 2016 before starting residency, you cannot later claim to have been living in a european country from December 2013 to March 2016 before starting residency.

yes but they need to take into account all the use-cases. If one cannot return to its last permanent resident country, what option is left for him?

Maybe that rule saying you have to stay at least 3 out of 5 years can be bent a bit? That might be what NewCanadian is referring to, i'm not sure.