Seeking your advice on a part-time job offer

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

podvam

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a long time member of the SDN podiatry forums since 2009 when I was just a lowly student (had same account name). Sadly I lost my login information so couldn't get my old account back so greetings again from my new account and thank you for the years of great advice I previously got here regarding the passing of boards, residency searching, and my first job search as well! I honestly love this place and greatly appreciate the community and advice provided here over the past decade of my professional life! :)

Recently I've been working at my first full-time job out of residency for 4 years. I became ABPM board certified during that time and gained a great deal of experience. Sadly life has not been very kind to our family. I lost my mother 4 years ago and two years ago my father developed Parkinsons which has worsened. He now requires much more of my time during what I fear to be his last years with me.

My current group is unfortunately not very able (or willing) to work with me on this matter so as a result I have decided to temporarily switch to a part time position with a different employer in order to help take care of my dad.

The part time position would involve 3 full clinic days per week and one saturday morning per month travelling to a new clinic each time also I would be responsible for 5 nursing homes in the same area and some travel time associated there as well. This new group would also be expecting me to take ER call at the local area hospital 2 weeks out of every month. The hospital unfortunately is not supported by a pod residency so I would be rounding myself quite a bit and the call is steady but not overwhelming according to the full time doc retiring from it. They have not been very clear yet on the financial compensation for that work load but I was just wondering given that info what I should be pushing for in terms of benefits yearly salary etc. Obviously I'm prepared to take a big paycut from my busy full time position but was just wondering what kind of salary would be a good target to go after for that work load they are asking? Do I push for CME etc is that reasonable? Never had a part-time position before so I was unsure of this.

Thank you in advance for any advice so greatful to be a part of this community!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I'm a long time member of the SDN podiatry forums since 2009 when I was just a lowly student (had same account name). Sadly I lost my login information so couldn't get my old account back so greetings again from my new account and thank you for the years of great advice I previously got here regarding the passing of boards, residency searching, and my first job search as well! I honestly love this place and greatly appreciate the community and advice provided here over the past decade of my professional life! :)

Recently I've been working at my first full-time job out of residency for 4 years. I became ABPM board certified during that time and gained a great deal of experience. Sadly life has not been very kind to our family. I lost my mother 4 years ago and two years ago my father developed Parkinsons which has worsened. He now requires much more of my time during what I fear to be his last years with me.

My current group is unfortunately not very able (or willing) to work with me on this matter so as a result I have decided to temporarily switch to a part time position with a different employer in order to help take care of my dad.

The part time position would involve 3 full clinic days per week and one saturday morning per month travelling to a new clinic each time also I would be responsible for 5 nursing homes in the same area and some travel time associated there as well. This new group would also be expecting me to take ER call at the local area hospital 2 weeks out of every month. The hospital unfortunately is not supported by a pod residency so I would be rounding myself quite a bit and the call is steady but not overwhelming according to the full time doc retiring from it. They have not been very clear yet on the financial compensation for that work load but I was just wondering given that info what I should be pushing for in terms of benefits yearly salary etc. Obviously I'm prepared to take a big paycut from my busy full time position but was just wondering what kind of salary would be a good target to go after for that work load they are asking? Do I push for CME etc is that reasonable? Never had a part-time position before so I was unsure of this.

Thank you in advance for any advice so greatful to be a part of this community!

This is a part time job? Sounds like 40 hours a week to me. Probably more. Podiatry groups are the WORST

Sent from my iPhone using SDN

Reactions: 1 user
I’ll be the second person to say that sounds like a full time job. At least a 3/4 time job. You should be paid accordingly

Members don't see this ad :)
They did clarify it's 2 clinic days per week not 3 days plus a saturday every month, the nursing homes, and the ER call.

I totally agree with both of you it definitely sounds like they are asking for quite a bit here and trying to get that level of commitment at a discount. I have a strong feeling they will put a low ball contract in front of me when I go in for this interview. What's the minimum you guys would take for a job description like that? Just trying to get a ballpark idea of what is acceptable so I don't get taken advantage of here and also don't come off as being unreasonable with my demands and end up blowing a decent opportunity.

I'm between this offer and taking a job witth mobile podiatry at this point.

Last edited:
They did clarify it's 2 clinic days per week not 3 days plus a saturday every month, the nursing homes, and the ER call.

I totally agree with both of you it definitely sounds like they are asking for quite a bit here and trying to get that level of commitment at a discount. I have a strong feeling they will put a low ball contract in front of me when I go in for this interview. What's the minimum you guys would take for a job description like that? Just trying to get a ballpark idea of what is acceptable so I don't get taken advantage of here and also don't come off as being unreasonable with my demands and end up blowing a decent opportunity.

I'm between this offer and taking a job witth mobile podiatry at this point.

You are worth so much more than they are going to pay you. If they offer you lower than 100k than do the mobile podiatry job.

They are going to use and abuse you.

Private practice podiatry sucks

Sent from my iPhone using SDN

I get the feeling you are right. I think I just needed to hear it from someone else doing the same job.

Being on call 2 full weeks a month + 2-3 days a week clinic + nursing homes + time to do cases is not part time.

i would figure out how much time this “part time” position will take, as a % of what your current full time job requires. Then I’d multiply that by whatever you feel is reasonable full time compensation (total compensation). That’s your salary number. No production incentives, you aren’t looking to work more, right?

if this job is going to take around 70% of what your current job does, and you think $250k is a reasonable full time salary, for example, then you tell them you want $175k. They need to pay for your malpractice, your state license, and CME. These things are required to practice and therefore they need to be provided by any employer.

I have a feeling you will not be compensated fairly for a job that sounds like more work than you’re looking for. Though it really will depend on how busy you’d be on call. If you have a decent inpatient load then you are going to have two weeks every month where you are easily working like a full time doc

The new group did mention "potentially" paying my 10k$ tail coverage fee on exiting my old group. They said they would come to a decision on that before the interview next Friday. I don't think they will offer me more than 70k a year for that position so it sounds like I'm probably better off refusing it and doing mobile podiatry for awhile at around the same pay level. It would be less hours and stress for same or maybe even more money.

Regarding the 10k$ tail coverage fee on exiting a group... I was wondering if there's any way around that or if that's just the way it is when you change employment?

Like the others have stated, this seems more like a full time job with the group trying to sell part time pay.

The new group did mention "potentially" paying my 10k$ tail coverage fee on exiting my old group. They said they would come to a decision on that before the interview next Friday. I don't think they will offer me more than 70k a year for that position so it sounds like I'm probably better off refusing it and doing mobile podiatry for awhile at around the same pay level. It would be less hours and stress for same or maybe even more money.

Regarding the 10k$ tail coverage fee on exiting a group... I was wondering if there's any way around that or if that's just the way it is when you change employment?

you need tail coverage. But you can get it for close to half of what PICA charges for it...

70k for that is simply a joke. Pass hard on that. Open up your own clinic and make triple that working 2 days a week.

I disagree with opening up your own clinic. That takes a lot of time and commitment.

I do agree on doing mobile podiatry. I’ve seen offers from 150k+ for mobile podiatry 5 days a week, no calls, FULL benefits.

All that work for 70K ... terrible people, they will make so much more off you .. if you can still salvage the situation ask for a percentage at least 40% ... otherwise doing nursing homes would be THE most flexible ... you can go early in AM and have rest of the day to you self ... easily make more than a full time time income if the work is there

Thank you everyone for the advice I'm ready for this interview now! :)

Guess I just have to look into my tail coverage issue now