Seems like the average DAT will drop this year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mydat

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Compared to last year, this year's DAT averages for most schools will drop by 0.5-1 point. The GPA will stay pretty much the same.

Agreed? I am getting this conclusion by looking at the predents stats.

I still don't get why the DAT was so high last year. It was insane.

Members don't see this ad.

whered you get this data?

If it did go down .5-1, my guess would be its because of QR. Almost everyones worst score was QR, whether the aa was 24 or 17. Did they change it this year? Seems like a trend when everyones doing poorly in it.

If it did go down .5-1, my guess would be its because of QR. Almost everyones worst score was QR, whether the aa was 24 or 17. Did they change it this year? Seems like a trend when everyones doing poorly in it.

I just compared the accepted student's GPA/DAT averages with last year's for bunch of schools.

Members don't see this ad :)
i agree...QR has changed now...i hope the average will go down...:D

There was the whole conspiracy talk (especially on the DAT forum) that the DAT became more difficult within the last year. There were many threads dedicated to this.

Not saying that it is true, but there could be some correlation.

There was the whole conspiracy talk (especially on the DAT forum) that the DAT became more difficult within the last year. There were many threads dedicated to this.

Not saying that it is true, but there could be some correlation.

We'll find out when the new ADEA guide to dental school comes out in May.

There was a visit from UMKC admissions to my school the other day, they mentioned that total aadsas applications were down this year as well (I wanna say it was either 240 or 270 less than last year). This out of the total number of applicants, not just UMKC applicants.

Not sure if that is an indication we've reached a peak or just because the aadsas deadline was a little earlier this year.

We'll find out when the new ADEA guide to dental school comes out in May.

Why do they release it in May? Isn't waitlist movement over the summer going to affect the final entering class statistics?

I was told at one of my interviews that the ADA sent a letter to schools, telling them to expect lower QR scores because they had changed that portion of the test.

i took the DAT twice and i felt it was much harder the second time around. i studied much harder for the 2nd one also. my scores went up in certain areas but also dropped in others. i thought the sciences were much harder that last years.

I was told at one of my interviews that the ADA sent a letter to schools, telling them to expect lower QR scores because they had changed that portion of the test.

well that makes me feel much better, i knew i wasnt that stupid

i took the DAT twice and i felt it was much harder the second time around. i studied much harder for the 2nd one also. my scores went up in certain areas but also dropped in others. i thought the sciences were much harder that last years.
I also took DAT twice, and I thought that QR was much harder the second time.

Could go either way, really. Since people have struggled with QR this year, everyone taking the test within the next 4-5 months will focus more on that section and possibly do better. Who knows.
I think PAT went up this year, no? Everyone seems to have done a lot better on that section.

I'll take the DAT again just to prove you wrong ... right after this nap.

Members don't see this ad :)
I took it last year and this year and would agree that it was a harder test except for the pat which was slightly easier. I knew my stuff very well the second time (much better than the first) and ended up getting the same overall score...

I expect doc toothache to chime in anytime now...

DAT is the same as it was 400 years ago.

Compared to last year, this year's DAT averages for most schools will drop by 0.5-1 point. The GPA will stay pretty much the same.

Agreed? I am getting this conclusion by looking at the predents stats.

I still don't get why the DAT was so high last year. It was insane.
Predents is the most accurate source available!

I just compared the accepted student's GPA/DAT averages with last year's for bunch of schools.

All those calculations to compare scores from last to this year is probably a good exercise for those interested in improving their QR score. However close your predictions may come to the real numbers will be pure coincidence since the statistics (real or imagined) given on predents.com do not represent a random sample of the population of either the applicant or the enrollee pool.

As for the reports that the DAT as a whole or in part has gotten harder or easier we will have to postpone a discussion until there is statistical evidence for the claim. In the meantime you may want to check the post on DAT Harder/Easier-The Myth Revisited.

DAT is the same as it was 400 years ago.

Maybe not quite that long but close enough.

All those calculations to compare scores from last to this year is probably a good exercise for those interested in improving their QR score. However close your predictions may come to the real numbers will be pure coincidence since the statistics (real or imagined) given on predents.com do not represent a random sample of the population of either the applicant or the enrollee pool.

As for the reports that the DAT as a whole or in part has gotten harder or easier we will have to postpone a discussion until there is statistical evidence for the claim. In the meantime you may want to check the appropriate post on DAT Harder/Easier-The Myth Revisited.

Maybe not quite that long but close enough.

He is here! :cool:

The info on whether the DAT scores have changed comes from ADA not ADEA.

I know that this is just my two cents, but I felt like the QR section was a lot harder than all of the practice tests that I had taken. I had been getting 22-23 on the QR practice sections and then got a 19 on the real deal. I felt like some of the questions they asked were pretty crazy - one of them expected me to know the equation for an ellipse.

I know that this is just my two cents, but I felt like the QR section was a lot harder than all of the practice tests that I had taken. I had been getting 22-23 on the QR practice sections and then got a 19 on the real deal. I felt like some of the questions they asked were pretty crazy - one of them expected me to know the equation for an ellipse.

yeap...i had that ellipse thing also....i was going all nuts doing QR.....on the practice test i always got above 22 but then.....wooof....

This is the type of question that separates those who score 23+ from those with 18-19.

QR was unbelievable, but i think the sciences were much more difficult too. After studying the way i did this year relative to last year's test, i thought i was going to get close to perfect scores; but with some of the questions i didn't even know where to start.

I thought the QR was the easiest section, after the PAT. It reminded me of the SAT math section, nothing past trig.

I shamed my half-Asian heritage by thoroughly stinking at math. I sympathize for people who didn't finish all the questions in the alotted time - I sure as heck didn't.

I thought the QR was the easiest section, after the PAT. It reminded me of the SAT math section, nothing past trig.

I concur. I found it to be a lot of fun. but who knows maybe i got an older version of the exam. i did take it in august of 07, so i just started hearing stories of the harder qr and rc

I shamed my half-Asian heritage by thoroughly stinking at math. I sympathize for people who didn't finish all the questions in the alotted time - I sure as heck didn't.

hahahahahaha that's how I felt too... and I've taken up to calculus 4... LOL :D

oh wait... except not half-asian... just asian... hehe so I guess I'm worse... :laugh: