Selecting Residents w. MBAs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

U4iA

εὐφορία
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi there..

I was wondering what the general perception is from resident selection committees regarding MBAs. I am currently a med student and before this, I got an MBA (mostly to learn more about organizational leadership) but I'm not at all interested in working with pharms or HMOs. Unfortunately, I have encountered many people in medicine who seem to think that MD/MBAs are looking to work with big companies that squeeze physicians. I became conditioned not to mention the MBA because of this constant assumption and everything was fine.

Recently I wrapped up a research project that lead to a publication. The guy I do research w. knows that I have an MBA and included the letters in the draft after my name. I quickly had the urge to e-mail him back and tell him just to use my name. Then I thought I would get some of your ideas.

What do you think the average physician/resident thinks about people w. MBAs without knowing them?

What do you think resident selection committees think about people w. MBAs?

i realize this is a stupid question. i just wanted to get some peoples ideas.

Members don't see this ad.

yes, somebody with an MBA usually conjures up images of a person that only cares about finances and money... somebody that would screw others over at the slightest opportunity...

however, most physicians are just jealous b/c an MBA has more options then them, a better lifestyle if they are a healthcare executive, and let's face it... more cash...

i don't think you should hide your extra degree... it's more good than bad...

almost 90% of doctors are in private practice. So there's a 90% chance that your MBA will be very helpful to you even if you don't become some big executive. It's unfortunate that having an MBA might bias people against you, but doctors have been notoriously bad at business recently that's part of the reason why we've been getting squeezed more and more.

So to answer your question about whether to hide the MBA . . . I have no idea.

Dont hide it. You earned it.

If someone questions your motivations then just explain yourself. There are several program directors with their MBAs and noone is questioning their motivation.

List it in iyour publication, you earned it. No reason not to. You will be listing your MBA in your CV anyway.
As far as how residency interviewers will perceive the MBA, it has to do with why you got it and what you intend to do with it. If you can tell a great story about how it ties in with your long term career goals, its a plus, otherwise I don't see it any different than someone who has a Masters in something else non-science research related or that had an interesting job before hand. For every person that doesn't like the MBA, there will be someone else who things its great, and probably 5 others that will be indifferent.

Within my program, there are several docs with MBA's and as a previous poster mentioned, it is a commodity in todays economically driven practice environment. Be proud of it and use it to market yourself as an applicant - any degree lends credibility to your application and an MBA will set you apart.