Selecting Undergraduate Major

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Allison123

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm new to this process, so any information you may be able to provide would be helpful. I will be transferring to the University of Oklahoma next fall, and I have somewhat of a dilemma regarding major selection.

For informational purposes, I'm 27 years old and have completed the majority of my general education requirements. I took most of the courses while I was working full time in the healthcare field (and hadn't yet decided to aim for medical school), and my grades range from A's to C's.

After a great deal of thought and research, I've decided to make a firm commitment to becoming a physician--whatever it takes. I will be moving from Oklahoma City to Norman next fall and taking out student loans and other forms of educational assistance (working only part time) so that I can focus completely on my studies and obtaining relevant volunteer experience.

Thank you for reading this far. :) This brings me to my question. Because my academic record to this point is mediocre, comprised mostly of liberal arts courses, should I select a science major to demonstrate my ability to handle a rigorous curriculum in this area? I also wonder if, given that I've taken only one science course thus far, it would prepare me more thoroughly for the MCAT. On the other hand, I may end up with a slightly lower GPA with this type of major, as the courses tend to be more difficult.

The official information on OU's web site states that it doesn't matter which major one selects as long as the premedical requirements are met, but each person's situation is unique, so I thought I would ask for additional opinions.

Thank you in advance for your time.

Allison

Members don't see this ad.

If you would like to remain unique, then keep your liberal arts major and take a lot of science classes. The cream of the crop tend to have a liberal arts major as well as a physiology type major. Biochem, Genetics, or Cellular Biology tend to look really good when paired with a liberal arts education.

Scott

BTW, those majors prepare you better than regular Biology.

Keep your major. However, take your premed courses and kick butt. And take more than one. They will see when you take three science cousrese and kick tail.

My Film degree didn't hurt me in the least.

Members don't see this ad :)
roja said:
My Film degree didn't hurt me in the least.

film degree? or rather film experience. i could have sworn that was you in that video circulating with the whip and leather pants.
;)