Selegiline transdermal patch

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

PsychFuture

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Has anyone seen the original data from the new drug application that was declined by the FDA for lack of efficacy? I am trying to track it down.

Thanks
 
Are you referring to a patch different from the one which was approved in March of this year (EMSAM). It is now approved, but won't be distributed to all wholesalers until later this year.

I asked about this a few months ago...it is effective, but the side effects which limit oral dosing are apparent at all but the lowest patch strength (there are 3 I think) which will limit its usefulness.

It is marketed by Bristol-Meyers Squibb so their site will have the references which were used for approval.
 
I have used the Emsam patch in a couple of patients. I have seen the copy from the FDA of the approve new drug application for the Emsam patch. I am looking for the original application that was declined due to lack of efficacy in 3 out of 4trials that were used to support the new drug application in 2001.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
PsychFuture said:
I have used the Emsam patch in a couple of patients. I have seen the copy from the FDA of the approve new drug application for the Emsam patch. I am looking for the original application that was declined due to lack of efficacy in 3 out of 4trials that were used to support the new drug application in 2001.

It's likely in the BMS internal data files. Did you try the FDA website?
 
I searched the FDAwebsite and could only find the second approved application and some back and forth about dietary guidelines.
 
Try this: search the fda.gov website for the NDA 21336/21708 or do a generic search for selegiline nda history.

The first NDA was submitted by Somerset Pharmaceuticals on 5-24-01 under nda 21-708.

This should get you started on the original studies. Only 1 of the 4 efficacy studies showed positive results for the first nda. I believe they were later redone with more convincing results.