Self-care emphasis in programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

turtleturtle

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do any of your grad programs emphasize self-care?

My program does not. This is partly just my curiosity about how much issues of impairment, self-care, burnout, etc are talked about on a formal level. I specifically mean in the classroom, before any practicum or clinical training.

Members don't see this ad.

Do any of your grad programs emphasize self-care?

My program does not. This is partly just my curiosity about how much issues of impairment, self-care, burnout, etc are talked about on a formal level. I specifically mean in the classroom, before any practicum or clinical training.

somewhat of an oxymoron isn't it :)

Members don't see this ad :)
We talk about it in my program, especially when students bring it up in our practicum/ethics courses. Faculty doors are open to those of us struggling with exhaustion, and self-care is emphasized in some courses.

However, all this talking about it never translates to any of the program requirements being relaxed ;). It's a space to vent and that's about it.

We talked about it in my professional development/ethics class. I recall that a psychologist from the state ethics board came in to speak to us about "impaired psychologists" (those struggling with burnout, substance abuse, etc). We discussed various ways to practice self-care as a way of preventing these outcomes from happening.

So we discussed it directly, but that doesn't mean burnout and stress doesn't happen. At times I think our program sent mixed messages about this. (e.g., take care of yourself, but make sure you do as much as possible to prepare for internship by taking extra practica, research opportunites, etc).

At the end of the day I think self-care has to be a conscious choice each individual makes about how much he/she can handle, and a willingness to say "no" even when external pressures push us to take on more, more, more. I also believe that good supervision and one's own therapy can be a big help.

Self-care is addressed in almost every one of my classes, but I am sure it is due to my being in a counseling masters program. We read about it, talk about it, we even recently had an assignment about it. One of our professor's is starting a weekly meditation group next semester.

Speaking of self care...

Perhaps this is a good place for me to vent some of my current frustrations/anxieties. I need some advice from either those that have been there, or those that are going through something similar. My problem is that I don't understand how people survive financially through graduate school in unfunded programs, without completely burning themselves out. I am currently in a masters program (4 courses), along with a 20 hour per week practicum and a part time volunteer research assistant position. None of this pays, my program is unfunded/no stipend, and by the time I complete my masters, I'm looking at 50 grand of debt. On top of all of this, I am applying to programs right now, and I work at a bar on weekends. The bar is my only source of income, and it's not much. I use loans to supplement the rest. After last night, I think I need to consider quitting the bar job. It burns me out, I HATE it, I have been doing it for too many years, and I just want to enjoy my weekend. Or at least use my weekend for homework/applications...anything. I don't remember what it was like to have a social life.

If I quit the job, I am relying just on loans, which I would hate to do. I don't know if I have an option though. It's either my sanity, or my financial well being right now. On top of everything, I am really questioning whether or not I would actually go to an unfunded PsyD program after this. Would it just be 5 more years of the same? How do people support themselves in these types of programs? I am SO lost...I am really questioning everything right now.

I am really questioning whether or not I would actually go to an unfunded PsyD program after this. Would it just be 5 more years of the same? How do people support themselves in these types of programs? I am SO lost...I am really questioning everything right now.

Honestly, yes, it would likely be 5 more years of the same only with even more debt. There is the HPSP scholarship but that wouldn't even help you for the first couple of years.