Self exam...have fun with this

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sco1styear

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I was really trying to put off studying by playing with some equipment...and was wondering if anyone else has tried this...
I was looking in the mirror with my retinoscope and could watch my reflex!! It was pretty cool, so then I decided to give direct ophthalmoscopy a try...but I couldn't ever get to where I could see anything besides the red reflex. Would it be possible for you to scope yourself? And could you do direct on yourself as well? Just pondering...haha
Has anyone else ever tried this?

Members don't see this ad.

I would think you could see the reflex while scoping, but accommodation would probably come into play. And don't forget to double you distance to the mirror as your working distance.

sco1styear said:
So I was really trying to put off studying by playing with some equipment...and was wondering if anyone else has tried this...
I was looking in the mirror with my retinoscope and could watch my reflex!! It was pretty cool, so then I decided to give direct ophthalmoscopy a try...but I couldn't ever get to where I could see anything besides the red reflex. Would it be possible for you to scope yourself? And could you do direct on yourself as well? Just pondering...haha
Has anyone else ever tried this?

haha!! thats soo funny!
I thought i was the only clever one to try the mirror bit....
it doesnt work though man... the working distance, 20'', is too far you cant see a thing... :)