'Self' Feral Cat rescue as Animal Experience?

Started by Futubet431
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Futubet431

Full Member
2+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello!

So, in my town we had lots of feral AND stray cats. My neighbors kinda provided comfort & protection and they ended up overpopulating.
My neighbors are old and some doesn't speak english so I helped them to take care of these cats by:
- Reaching out to local shelters & town for support
- I trapped (safely) and relocated them to a new home where they will be safe! did 11 kittens and currently on-going.

Would this be an appropriate animal experience?
I'm just worried that the admission will think I'm doing this as a non-professional and its illegal to handle animals like this. am i doing it wrong? Is this like illegal thing where i handle feral cats to somebody else.
 
Last edited:
I had a similar situation where I did a lot of fostering. I would foster the sick/injured strays that were brought into my work and then I would take them to the local humane society when they were better. I often went out and did TNR at places where the strays were found too. I partnered with a low cost spay/neuter place and I would pay some of the cost out of pocket. Eventually I did connect with a rescue and start fostering for them. I already had hundreds of hours under my belt though. I listed it as animal experience and explained with bullet points. I also put paid dog walking and pet sitting in the same category.

I could not say if it was looked on favorably by admissions since no one asked me about it during my 2 interviews. I did two file reviews as well and this experience was not mentioned. Maybe reach out to the school before applying? It’s a tricky situation.
 
Hello!

So, in my town we had lots of feral AND stray cats. My neighbors kinda provided comfort & protection and they ended up overpopulating.
My neighbors are old and some doesn't speak english so I helped them to take care of these cats by:
- Reaching out to local shelters & town for support (they were so busy and never came)
- I trapped (safely) and relocated them to a new home where they will be safe! did 11 kittens and currently on-going.

Would this be an appropriate animal experience?
I'm just worried that the admission will think I'm doing this as a non-professional and its illegal to handle animals like this. am i doing it wrong? Is this like illegal thing where i handle feral cats to somebody else.
I think this is fabulous experience because it shows you have a genuine passion and it also incorporates working with demographics of people who might not get this sort of help otherwise (due to language barriers, etc). I did something similar in undergrad with feral cats in my neighborhood and I can tell you that it has been something that my current faculty members ask about. I did include this experience in my personal statement too. I’m happy to talk to you about this via direct message too. I was accepted for class of 2026. Best of luck!! And thank you for saving cats 🙂
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I would ask admissions representatives and current students/SAVMA members. From my own perspective, I can see this as a good experience but I also think how you partnered with local shelters or organizations should also be encouraged. To me it's not just about your own passion to care for the feral/stray cats, but it's also about how you worked together with a larger community on the issue.

(insert picture of my fostering cat here)...
 

Attachments

  • 20220827_121422.jpg
    20220827_121422.jpg
    108.1 KB · Views: 200
Thank you very much everyone for your kind and helpful comments! I will reach out to schools. As Mr.Smile12 mentioned, yes i think its also about how I work together with the community!