self-study MCAT practice?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

potatoes

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm studying for the MCATs without taking the prep classes. I have reviewed material from the EK package but am looking for more practice materials. I haven't taken some of these classes for 3 years and am rusty.

So far I have the EK 101 passages (Verbal) and their Biology practice but don't know what to do for Physics, Gen Chem and Orgo.
-Should I go ahead and purchase the AAMC in place of other practice materials (was planning on purchasing anyway)?
-What practice material is available on the computer for me to do (people have told me that this is very helpful to do material on the computer)?
-What can help me with practicing my physics, Gen Chem and Orgo?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
-Should I go ahead and purchase the AAMC in place of other practice materials (was planning on purchasing anyway)?

I think eventually taking practice AAMC tests is a must, but I'd save that for closer to test day.

-What practice material is available on the computer for me to do (people have told me that this is very helpful to do material on the computer)?

You could try buying the Kaplan Qbank. It gives you access to practice problems for 3 months. I haven't used it, so I can't speak to its quality.

-What can help me with practicing my physics, Gen Chem and Orgo?

You might consider buying the berkeley review books just for the many practice passages they provide. You could also look into getting a hold of the princeton review hyperlearning science workbook, which they only give out to those who take the course, but you might be able to buy one privately. The science workbook has about 60-80 practice passages for each subject (bio, orgo, physics, gen chem...there is a separate verbal workbook)

Thanks for responding but you bring up good questions:

-how close to the test date do you suggest I start taking the practice exams? I'm taking mine at the end of August. I just figured I would start taking them when I memorized all the material and feel confident about applying concepts.

-I have access to the princeton hyperlearning book through a friend that took the course. Would you still recommend that I shell out money for the Berkley Review books for additional practice or were they enough for you?