Selling a PanOptic Ophthalmoscope

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

miratejaq

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone!
I'm a 4th year medical student and own a pretty much brand new Welch Allyn PanOptic Ophthalmoscope. Our school convinced us we would need it but I have not used it since my clinical skills class my 2nd year!!! I could just sell it to the incoming 1st years but..... I'd rather sell it to someone who would actually get some use out of it!

I have the PanOptic Classic Diagnostic Set which also comes with an Otoscope/Throat illuminator head. I bought it for over $1000. However, I know the prices have decreased to around $850 now. So, I'd be willing to sell it for $650 or best offer.

If you are interested or want more info/pictures please email me at [email protected].

Thanks,
Jacqueline

Members don't see this ad.

many ophthalmologists don't use panoptics as they often do a dilated exam. I've never seen an ophthalmologist use one, and I'm selling mine to a first year at my med school...keep your options open.

Wouldn't be so quick to sell it until after intern year. Maybe I am a tool, but I use the regular direct on wards and occ. in the ER even now. Even as a resident, there may be times you can't dilate a patient because they are being monitored by neurosurg. The chief of service at our county hospital always has one in case there is a reason the patient can't be dilated. But I am a lowly intern and a huge dork so take that for what's it worth.

oh I forgot mention I have a smaller direct that I carry in my pocket - but I can see how it would be useful to have the panoptic for undilate-able nsgy pts. on the other hand, I hope the program will have a panoptic in the consults bag if we need one.