Selling charts when closing practice

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

schistosomiasis

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Posting on behalf of a friend who is leaving her practice and trying to sell charts to colleague right down the road (I am MD not optometrist). Have done some research and found that practices sell for about 40-60% of one year's revenue, charts typically sell for $5-9 per active chart (seen in last 2-3 years), or 10-20% of actual generated revenue for the buyer for a timespan of 1-2 years.

Does anyone have firsthand experience in verifying these numbers? I realize ultimately what the charts are worth is what someone is willing to pay for them, she has interested buyer and wants a ballpark figure.

Members don't see this ad.

Highly dependent on the scenario.
Selling a full service practice (sells glasses & contacts): 50-70% of gross
Selling charts: Not a lot of value unless its a practice who's doors are shutting for good (I don't want to buy charts & they see another OD practicing in that same location).
IMO, the best way to sell charts is a low value/chart with an additional payment for each that actually is seen as a patient within the next 2 years.

If a local competitor was looking to close shop, I'd offer a flat fee for the patient mailing list & offer to store the charts. Any patient who I see in the next 2 years, I'd pay another $20-25.
If it's a Walmart (or other commercial OD), I'd pay nothing. (a new OD will be in their spot & these patients are loyal to the physical location, not the doc)