Technology Selling Macbook pro and air and am gonna upgrade

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MirrorTodd

It's a gas.
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey, I'm wondering what is the best way to zero out the hard drives so that there is no data left or what would you all be most comfortable with? I can zero out data, do a 7 pass erase, or a 35 pass erase, then reinstall the OS. So what do you all think?

Members don't see this ad.

If you have the software, I personally would be comfortable with a 7-pass erase, but hey the 35-pass erase sounds nice too. If you don't have military or company secrets on your computer, and it's just random pics and po--homework, don't worry about it. :)

You could rip that sucker out and run over it with your Landcruisers then bang it with a hammer and electromagnet then burn it, then buy a new hard drive, but that's overkill.

If you have the software, I personally would be comfortable with a 7-pass erase, but hey the 35-pass erase sounds nice too. If you don't have military or company secrets on your computer, and it's just random pics and po--homework, don't worry about it. :)
:laugh:
You could rip that sucker out and run over it with your Landcruisers then bang it with a hammer and electromagnet then burn it, then buy a new hard drive, but that's overkill.

:laugh: and only slightly counterproductive as I'm looking to save money with this sell and am gonna buy only one solid macbook air.

Members don't see this ad :)
Is it a magnetic or a solid state (flash) hard disk?

For a magnetic drive 7 passes is appropriate. Don't do this on a solid state drive, unless its a program specifically written to work with them.

See if you can boot to DBAN on your MBP and run a standard DoD-5220.22-M 7-pass erase on it (unless the OS X DVD has a built-in app for this or something). If not you could always pull the drive out, attach it to another computer and boot into DBAN on that and wipe the drive.

For an SSD, Secure Erase or similar should do the trick.

Is it a magnetic or a solid state (flash) hard disk?

For a magnetic drive 7 passes is appropriate. Don't do this on a solid state drive, unless its a program specifically written to work with them.

I'll have to check on the pro, the macbook air is a solid state drive.

See if you can boot to DBAN on your MBP and run a standard DoD-5220.22-M 7-pass erase on it (unless the OS X DVD has a built-in app for this or something). If not you could always pull the drive out, attach it to another computer and boot into DBAN on that and wipe the drive.

For an SSD, Secure Erase or similar should do the trick.

That was a little bit beyond my mac vernacular or whatever it's called. I know how to boot into disk utility to access the erase and restore option. Is that what you are talking about?

That was a little bit beyond my mac vernacular or whatever it's called. I know how to boot into disk utility to access the erase and restore option. Is that what you are talking about?

If I remember correctly I think Disk Utility has a seven-pass option or similar, so you should be able to use that, yeah.