Sending LOR and Trans directly to schools??

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by roster88, Oct 9, 2002.

1. roster88

roster88 Member

Does anyone know if it is ok to send the trans and the LOR directly to the schools and not to ADDSAS. I applied three weeks ago and I know if I wait for ADDSAS it would be too late.
    Does anyone know it this would be ok with schools??

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. GTchick

GTchick Senior Member

I ended up having to send my last LOR to the schools directly because AASDSAS kept losing it. They didn't have a problem with it. I would wait until the schools received your application though so that they have a file on you.

4. ItsGavinC

Dentist Moderator Emeritus

Dentist
    roster,

You certainly can do that, just make sure that they are sealed in an official manner, or some schools will ask for you to resend them (if they appear to have been tampered with, etc.).

Keep in mind that schools won't process your application until they actually receive it from AADSAS, so the only benefit to you sending your stuff in directly to the schools is to alleviate your worries about AADSAS being slow or losing it.

With the earlier batches most everything was mailed at the same time (schools got my transcripts, application, and LORs all at the same time). From postings by other applicants who applied recently, it appears that things are being sent at different times, in which case it might be better for you to directly send them.

Above all, like I said, it does you no good to have the transcripts and LORs sitting at the schools if they haven't received your application. I'd say your application will get to the schools in about 3-4 more weeks still. Good luck with everything!

5. UBTom

UBTom Class '04 official geezer

to Roster:

Preprofessional advisory committees at some schools actually advocate sending the LORs direct rather than through AADSAS, yes.

And some preprofessional committees go as far as maintaining a file of LORs for you so that they can put together a composite package of LORs (including a committee cover letter) and send those directly to the schools you applied to. My undergrad institution (Columbia U) does this as a standard service for preprofessional students.

You might want to find out how the preprofessional advisory committee at your school works and see if you can take advantage of it.

Good luck!

6. roster88

roster88 Member

thank you all.

7. dentalapp

dentalapp Member

but you do notice that most dental schools, as indicated on their websites, prefer that you submit your recs and transcripts through AADSAS.

That's exactly what I did, because I was afraid of 'breaching' their policy.

I personally won't know if AADSAS is reliable, until maybe on Friday, since that's when dental schools will be receiving my AADSAS packet.

8. DesiDentist

DesiDentist G. S. Khurana, DMD, MBA
    Moderator Emeritus Exhibitor

Dentist
    I sent a set of original LOR's and Transcripts to my top choices, but I send a set to AADSAS as well...thinking that they will take care of the other schools I applied to. But you should be safe than sorry.

DesiDentist

9. juan7677

juan7677 Senior Member

Just send the transcripts and Letters directly to the school. AADSAS still haven't sent out my transcripts and its been about 7 weeks since the schools received my AADSAS application. So I ended up just sending my letters and transcripts to most schools I applied to.