Sending Updates to Schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

surfsuncali

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if anybody could tell me how to know if a school is receptive to updates and what kinds of things they will want to hear about. Also, if you know of anything schools do NOT like to hear about, please let me know. The school I am thinking of sending one to says that it "encourages" updates on the portal. You can even send more than one. I've been looking at other posts on here, and the consensus seems kind of iffy on which schools like them and what to put in them. Any insight would be appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

i would say 1 if the school 'encourages' updates then it's probably okay to put one, and 2 if you have an 'update' only put it if it's something that you would have put on the original application; significant change/addition of volunteering, research, work etc.

Unless a school specifically states not to send updates, consider sending one in a good idea IF you have something substantial to tell them about. Research publication, or maybe combo of a ton of new shadowing/clinical experience with good grades, etc. There are a lot of threads on here about what is worthwhile and what isnt.

I sent some updates in last year that did not contain worthwhile info and was promptly rejected from several of the schools I contacted lol. So again make sure you have something impressive to say or you may end up doing more harm than good.