Senior grades?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Wahoo

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do schools typically ask applicants for senior year Fall grades? It seems unlikely from schools which begin accepting this month, but what about schools like Harvard which don't make their decisions until February?
Thanks for any help!

Members don't see this ad.

not every school explicitly states so, but it's generally expected that you keep adcoms up-to-date on what you've been doing. and that most definitely includes sending in new grades as you receive them. a few schools don't want you to send in anything new, but there are far more who expect and even encourage it. i don't know of a single school that won't ask for your final transcripts prior to matriculating anyway. and besides, it's to your advantage to keep your app file current with any new info that might factor into their decision.

Ugh. This is my last semester. I'm doing fine in evolution and immunology, but I'm practically failing mammalogy!!! WHY did I take this course?? I thought it would be fun, but it turns out it's full of Forestry and Ecology grad students, who have all had most of the material before. Meanwhile, the lecture and lab is greek to me. "ah yes, one can distinguish the Dermoptera skull by it's protodont and curmablahblah incisors blah blee blah..."

Everyone else nods knowingly, while I sit there with a big empty thought baloon over my head!!

Oh well. I'm hoping to scrape out a C or B, but so far no good. I've already missed three of the classes (it only meets twice a week) because of interviews!

Why Why Why didn't I take cell bio lab instead??? I need to buckle down and really study for this class. I've done it before, but this semester I'm so distracted by the application process! EEP!

Members don't see this ad :)
Immuno rocks!!! Love that class!

So what happens if you get a C or two in your last year (especially if you've done pretty well in the past) - I know that if you do badly enough, a med school has the right to retract an admission offer. Exactly how poorly do you have to do to get the ex post facto boot?

Anyone care to test out this question? :) I didn't think so! :)

i don't think one C will force them to retract an acceptance, if you already have one in hand. my understanding is that it's a red flag if your *overall* performance takes a total nosedive. i knew a guy in college who actually failed a course (as in, a big fat F) in his final term, but he didn't lose any of his acceptances. he did have to sweat it out for a while, though.

but if you haven't gotten in anywhere, then i would keep your grades up!!

I have a friend who is an MII right now who dropped his GPA from a 3.4 to a 3.17 during his senior year. I'd say you have to do pretty bad.