Senior resident

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Catfish-Cupcake

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone. MS1 here on an AF scholarship. I've been looking around to find if a year spent as senior resident counts towards active duty payback or incurs additional payback time. I haven't found an answer yet so I thought I should ask milmed. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello everyone. MS1 here on an AF scholarship. I've been looking around to find if a year spent as senior resident counts towards active duty payback or incurs additional payback time. I haven't found an answer yet so I thought I should ask milmed. Thanks!
When you are in GME, you are technically in the Reserves, so my guess would be that it would count toward your reserve commitment. Unless it pushed you over 4 years of residency, in which case you would owe more time.

Last edited:
Acting intern (MSIV) or senior resident (IM PGY3 +1). If you are talking about acting intern as a MSIV, no it does not count for squat. However, the internal medicine senior residents in the military is an extra year after graduating residency. They are technically an attending but their duties are managing the residents. Yes it counts towards payback. Surgery senior residents are still in GME so that doesn't count.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would add a slight correction: everywhere I've rotated at MTFs, PGY3/5/6 = senior resident. "Chief resident" depends on the specialty. For example Peds at TAMC chief resident = first year attending. Chief resident in general surgery at EAMC = PGY6 (basically PGY5 due to research year), not an attending. There were many variations depending on specialty. This means "chief resident" is essentially meaningless until you tease out whether they are an attending or not.

Sweet. Thanks everyone for the replies. It seems like if it didn't count for payback they might have to twist some arms or at least offer up some incentive to fill the spots.

Sweet. Thanks everyone for the replies. It seems like if it didn't count for payback they might have to twist some arms or at least offer up some incentive to fill the spots.
Good clarifications in the above postings.

If you are asking about the IM chief resident idea, both of my friends (n=2) did a chief year then when right into a pulm/cc fellowship, so I suppose that is the incentive.

Reactions: 1 user