Senior Year Activities

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Silverfalcon

Do It
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'll be applying to med schools this summer. My question is, since I would have already submitted AMCAS by then, how much effect would activities in senior year will help/matter? I have options of getting a paid leadership position and a teaching assistant for senior year, but I could also use those time to focus more on research. I know that teaching and leadership are good for application, but the only way I could think of them being mentioned is through the update letters (or briefly mentioning them on AMCAS that I received those positions...but not sure how much impact it will have).

Members don't see this ad.

Even though I submitted my AMCAS application in June, I didn't get an invitation for a secondary application to UCSF until December. I had some new stuff to report (not on my AMCAS application), and what do you know, they invited me to interview.

I ended up turning down that interview, but the point is that you never know how an activity might help you in the long run. You'll also want new things to talk about during your interviews, as well!

Do activities that are meaningful to you, and hopefully they'll help you out with med school also.