senior year burnout..

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dentalist

carpe diem
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
senior year..

this is my last quarter and I'm so burned out to the extent that I can't even think straight... been trying to cram 24 units of upper div science courses to graduate on time... and im barely hanging in here... midterm after midterm, reports after reports - life sucks and biochem lab blows big time. i feel like im putting so much time into school work (probably more than 14 hours a day) but not performing as well as I would like to... mediocrity at the best. I will be starting dental school in the fall, and I now wonder how the hell I will keep myself sane with this kind of lifestyle for the next four years

sorry for venting but I couldn't resist... left home for school at 2am today to prepare for the midterm, got back home from the 5 hour long lab at 11pm, and my desk is filled with endless readings and reports to do. I know I shouldn't be complaining because life is truly a blessing and I have too many things to be thankful for but man im just exahusted

wishing the best to those who are in the same shoes or who are just going through some trying times in life,
dentalist

Members don't see this ad.

senior year..

this is my last quarter and I'm so burned out to the extent that I can't even think straight... been trying to cram 24 units of upper div science courses to graduate on time... and im barely hanging in here... midterm after midterm, reports after reports - life sucks and biochem lab blows big time. i feel like im putting so much time into school work (probably more than 14 hours a day) but not performing as well as I would like to... mediocrity at the best. I will be starting dental school in the fall, and I now wonder how the hell I will keep myself sane with this kind of lifestyle for the next four years

sorry for venting but I couldn't resist... left home for school at 2am today to prepare for the midterm, got back home from the 5 hour long lab at 11pm, and my desk is filled with endless readings and reports to do. I know I shouldn't be complaining because life is truly a blessing and I have too many things to be thankful for but man im just exahusted

wishing the best to those who are in the same shoes or who are just going through some trying times in life,
dentalist

I understand what you mean. And, I certainly don't begrudge you for your vent. Hang in there and just stay positive. Summer is just around the corner. And, fortunately, you don't have to go through the stress of reapplying. :)

I know what you mean. I'm also a senior and this is my last quarter, also experiencing burn-out. I think it'll be different once we're in D-school, it'll be challenging but in a different (probably funner) way! Hang in there!

Members don't see this ad :)
just think of it this way: the grades don't really matter.

it's good habit though to always try your best, and i'm sure some fo teh stuff you learn now will help a little in dental school. but you're done. congratulate yourself. all you have to do is hang in there, and you'll be fine. and you'll have a summer free from worry to enjoy and relax.

ive been in your shoes. it was just a couple of weeks ago where it felt like tests/papers/presentations would never end! then towards the end, i just had that '**** it' mentality and just did things to pass...lol, im all done now though, and it feels great to relax!

Hang in there its almost over and you've gotten so far already, congradulations. My advice would be to have the best summer you possibly can before dental school in the fall (at least thats what I try and plan on doing). Go on vacation, hangout with friends, party, etc. You have worked very hard to get to where you are so this summer you should play hard before you begin another four very challenging years of dental school. Good Luck!

Hey. i think its not the work load that is different in the last quarter, it is the attitude towards the classes. Its called senioritis! Im going through the same thing. And i really can't help it. But as someone said already "grades don't matter..." The only thing that worries me a little is that will this kind of attitude last until the DS starts???...

I just got done with my last final 2 hrs. ago, I was feeling the same way except I was already done with most of my science classes and was finishing up requirements for literature, spanish along with a health class. All the while filling my last biochem elective, senior seminar and writing 2 manuscripts for independent research. You will get through it, when in dental school we will all be going through the same stuff. That might make it a little easier.

Good Luck..

The only thing I can tell you is... the REAL hardship of dental school is the first 2 years, those are very lecture intense but after that, the lectures become less and you get to spend more time in the labs and dealing with patients....

So theoretically, you only have the first 2 years of dental school to kinda worry about and the thing that makes it all good is... your soooooo close to your ultimate goal that it doesn't matter how hard or how much you suffer, your soooooo close to the end :)

Hang in there....my husband took 27 credits his last semester of college to graduate. He just finished up his first year of dental school, and it definitely has been challenging, but he felt like it was easier than that last semester with 27 credits. Just think like it is preparing you for dental school, cuz it is! If you can make it through this semester, you will be fine in d-school.

Hey. i think its not the work load that is different in the last quarter, it is the attitude towards the classes. Its called senioritis! Im going through the same thing. And i really can't help it. But as someone said already "grades don't matter..." The only thing that worries me a little is that will this kind of attitude last until the DS starts???...

Yeah, I have the same exact feelin right dese days...I think we would overcome it...somehow

You guys will totally make it through. It was nice reading all of this encouragement. This is a first year dental student talking (as of Monday, I will be a second year! WOOO!!!), and it's tempting to be like many other a$$hole d-students and say "you have no idea what burnout is", but I won't because it's simply not true.

~As freekout said, it's more fun. You'll question this during the really non-dental stuff, but most of it is more interesting.

~As pmantz said, you're in it together. Everyone is in the identical situation, and although that makes it easier to freak out and compare yourself to everyone around you, it feels like a stressed little family :)

~It takes a while to get this, and I STILL can't get my head around it, but you don't have to kill yourself with studying...you can let some things go and get Bs and Cs, and no one will know or care and you'll still be a tremendous dentist

~Dental school is extremely humbling. You will not get the grades you did in undergrad and you will even feel humiliated at times, but there are huge benefits to this. You learn humility, you are treated like adults and dig your own way out of things, you grow a HUGE amount, and along with all the academic training, you're learning maturity, deflating any inappropriate egos, compassion, and how to "play the game." Just play the game.

I guess this was also some reflection for me as I finish first year, but you all can totally do it. Have an amazing summer!

P.S. Make sure you enter dental school with an enormous sense of humor. The first time you study intensely for 2 weeks over a wide breadth of information and the exam is made up of puny details at the bottom of the only slide you skipped over, you have to laugh. When your labwork explodes all over you, that's pretty freaking funny. When you study your a$$ off and get 1 point under the grade you want and end up with the same grade as if you never opened a book, that's pretty funny too. :D

Hang in there....my husband took 27 credits his last semester of college to graduate. He just finished up his first year of dental school, and it definitely has been challenging, but he felt like it was easier than that last semester with 27 credits. Just think like it is preparing you for dental school, cuz it is! If you can make it through this semester, you will be fine in d-school.

Wow, I didn't think a school would allow an overload that extreme (unless it's not semester hours?)

yeah, he had to get special clearance from the dean to take over 24 credits

I'm only a sophmore in my spring semester and I hate chemistry and calculus so so very much..