Senior year fall semester

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

paperclip330

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a senior applying right now. I also finished all the pre-reqs classes. Because I'm a non-science major, I would like to take classes this semester focusing on my major. Would it be bad if I don't take any science classes this semester? (assuming that transcripts will be sent to med schools). I tended to take upper-level bio classes as my pre-reqs and maintained high cumulative/BCPM GPA.

Members don't see this ad.

Why?

• You finished your prereqs, and classes taken beyond that are given very little consideration except if you do poorly.
  • The grades aren't going to appear on your application anyway unless you send an updated transcript (which you don't have to until you are accepted)
  • Med schools tend to like well-rounded applicants, so taking non-science classes may actually be BETTER.
  • WHAT classes you take outside of prereqs makes such a small difference in the application process that you might as well take whatever you want.
Can you imagine a med school admission offierer saying: well this kid has a high GPA and a high BCPM, but I don't think he's taking any science classes this semester. Let's pass on this one.

If you get rejected from a medical school, trust me, it WON'T be because you didn't take any science classes for one semester.