Senior Year Testing?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Out of Order

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi SDN.

I'm a sophomore student, right now pursuing a science major (but I'm considering switching out to computer science just for "fun" before possible acceptance to medical school, though I'm still on the fence about it). Some of my planning has worked well (solid GPA) but some of it hasn't at all (required classes for my major along with my core - I'm fickle!). At any rate, I was also considering to get a summer abroad and a year off before medical school, so I was curious as to whether or not it would be wise to take the MCAT during the senior year of college. I have one semester left to go of Organic and Bio, and I think it might be good to put the second Bio class off due to both OchemII and my comp-sci class I'm going to take - I hear both are rough from my friends, not to mention trying to fit in Biochem and Physics later on! Is this feasible, or wise? What do you think? My advisors aren't helping me at all, acting like they've never seen anyone consider this - I would like to graduate in four years, after all.

Members don't see this ad.

Out of Order said:
Hi SDN.

I'm a sophomore student, right now pursuing a science major (but I'm considering switching out to computer science just for "fun" before possible acceptance to medical school, though I'm still on the fence about it). Some of my planning has worked well (solid GPA) but some of it hasn't at all (required classes for my major along with my core - I'm fickle!). At any rate, I was also considering to get a summer abroad and a year off before medical school, so I was curious as to whether or not it would be wise to take the MCAT during the senior year of college. I have one semester left to go of Organic and Bio, and I think it might be good to put the second Bio class off due to both OchemII and my comp-sci class I'm going to take - I hear both are rough from my friends, not to mention trying to fit in Biochem and Physics later on! Is this feasible, or wise? What do you think? My advisors aren't helping me at all, acting like they've never seen anyone consider this - I would like to graduate in four years, after all.

it is best to take the MCAT in april. i took it in august and it held up my application... although, i havent yet been rejected from anywhere ive applied. clearly, it is best to take all your science classes before the MCAT. it really doesnt matter what year of college you take it. as for your major, just choose the one that you are most interested in. it has absolutely no bearing on the application process. i was an economics major. the only benefit of being a bio major is that it may be easier to secure jobs or opportunities in labs with that degree... although it doesnt sound like youre planning on taking time off between college and med school

It is best to take it in April... now. But the MCAT is switching to a computer based system. It will be offered more than 2 times each year. To the OP: I would sit tight for a while until the CBT stuff is clarified. Yeah, that's an unsatisfying response, I know. But your testing schedule will be different than ours was. Sorry.
I sure did like all the other stuff MrHealth wrote. It made a lot of sense.

You seem to be well on your way so far. I would recommend, however, that if you do decide to do this your senior year, make sure that the intervening gap of time - if any - is filled productively, but you should already know this. Of course, if you're sticking with CS, I'd recommend at least one summer or period of time in which you intern or commit to some research in order to both round out your skills and demonstrate your interest (whether it be at the cost of any clinical work you may or may not have done is your decision, but the former might be looked upon more favorably). If you decide not to pursue a career in medicine, the internship would be a great leg-up in a job hunt.