Sent back a big freebie today....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GreyFox2002

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone here ever have the situation where your third party distributor (cardinal, McKesson) or warehouse shipped you an item that wasn't on the invoice and thus was free for your pharmacy to stock? A couple days ago I open a Cardinal tote and boom there's a box of Neurlasta (Pegfilgrastim). I immediately start freaking out when I see it's $3200 but a little search through the invoice and the system reveals it was never ordered by us. I call Cardinal and there was no record of us ordering it. I can't deny that the thought crossed my mind for a second about how amazing for my store's inventory it would have been if we kept that and somehow dispensed it. But I sent it back based on principles and also based on the fact that a $3200 drug would simply expire anyways, thus going to waste. Just an unusual situation and I felt good about it.....not to mention Cardinal is a good company who always takes care of us so I felt like taking care of them.

Members don't see this ad.

Someone else was probably wondering where their Neulasta was!

For our last physical inventory, the pharmacy manager was in the hospital. I was given the responsibility to handle the inventory in his place. The day before inventory, another nearby store had a power outage and had transferred $20,000 worth of medications to our fridge and freezer temporarily. When I went through double checking the work of the inventory service, I caught the error and pointed it out to them. I was later chewed out for it by the loss-prevention supervisor. Nice. :rolleyes:

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone here ever have the situation where your third party distributor (cardinal, McKesson) or warehouse shipped you an item that wasn't on the invoice and thus was free for your pharmacy to stock? A couple days ago I open a Cardinal tote and boom there's a box of Neurlasta (Pegfilgrastim). I immediately start freaking out when I see it's $3200 but a little search through the invoice and the system reveals it was never ordered by us. I call Cardinal and there was no record of us ordering it. I can't deny that the thought crossed my mind for a second about how amazing for my store's inventory it would have been if we kept that and somehow dispensed it. But I sent it back based on principles and also based on the fact that a $3200 drug would simply expire anyways, thus going to waste. Just an unusual situation and I felt good about it.....not to mention Cardinal is a good company who always takes care of us so I felt like taking care of them.

The thought of keeping misdelivered drug should never ever cross your mind as a professional. If it ever happens again, the first thing that crosses your mind is to contact the wholesaler immediately.

Something like Neulasta, it was probably for a specific patient with chemo induced neutropenia who needed it that day. Again, even if it's just a $0.50 bottle of sugar pills, don't ever take something it's not yours. Not just because Cardinal is a good wholesaler, or not.

Cardinal would eventually track it down any ways.

For our last physical inventory, the pharmacy manager was in the hospital. I was given the responsibility to handle the inventory in his place. The day before inventory, another nearby store had a power outage and had transferred $20,000 worth of medications to our fridge and freezer temporarily. When I went through double checking the work of the inventory service, I caught the error and pointed it out to them. I was later chewed out for it by the loss-prevention supervisor. Nice. :rolleyes:

Then the loss-preventin sup is a *****. You would be over on this inventory and short on the next. Why would they want that? It's stupid.

The thought of keeping misdelivered drug should never ever cross your mind as a professional. If it ever happens again, the first thing that crosses your mind is to contact the wholesaler immediately.

Something like Neulasta, it was probably for a specific patient with chemo induced neutropenia who needed it that day. Again, even if it's just a $0.50 bottle of sugar pills, don't ever take something it's not yours. Not just because Cardinal is a good wholesaler, or not.

Cardinal would eventually track it down any ways.

Wow geez, relax, I did the right thing. No need to chew me out about it.

Wow geez, relax, I did the right thing. No need to chew me out about it.

you think this is getting chewed out???

relax??? you thought about keeping a $3000 drug which doesnt belong to your facility. get that crap out of your gutter of a mind right now.

Last edited:
We got someone else's thymoglobulin once. Believe me, they were looking for it. Reminds me of the time our 14 boxes of Aralast got lost in transit. You think neulasta is expensive... Heh.

Cardinal accidentally sent us an entire box filled with Atripla. The value was roughly 150k. We called them and said they had no record of that going out and it didnt appear on any invoices. We shipped it back and they were happy.

Felt cool holding a box valued the same as a used lamborghini.

viewimage.php

Last edited:
:thumbdown:

I know you usually just try to innocently amuse us, but this one is just wrong. You know better than to be this politically inc...

Agreed, not funny at all. I don't consider myself as being easily offended, but that isn't appropriate for use among adults.

Yep, keep this one for the gaming forums.

And when Sparda says not to use it (here) you know it's bad.

We used to get mispicks and mis-totes all the time.

Small tangent, one of our secondary suppliers once sent every store (there are 8) 2 16GB iPod Touches as a gift. The owner found out, asked what an iPod is and demanded they all be sent to him so he could sell them on eBay.

Surprisingly, he only got five of the sixteen lol