Sent primary to Duke but failed to complete secondary?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bobcat

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was interested in seeing how many SDNers submitted a primary app to Duke but didn't complete the secondary. I know of several people where I go to college with great stats who were interested in Duke but didn't feel like completing the incredibly long secondary. I'm guessing that the % of people returning the Duke secondary this year was less than past years because of all the time required just to submit a primary application. This could make it easier for those of us who took the time to get into one of the best medical schools. So, I'm conducting a poll: Did you submit a primary application to Duke? Did you complete the Duke secondary?

Members don't see this ad.

I did the secondary... following the logic that they made it so difficult/time-consuming to "weed out" those that were not really, really interested in Duke. I figured that hopefully it would make better odds for those of us who bothered... but after being complete for almost 2 months, I am beginning to question my thought process! Oh well... :D

yes and yes.
I almost didn't do the secondary, but I took it as a challenge and did it in 24 hours.

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by Jessica:
•I did the secondary... following the logic that they made it so difficult/time-consuming to "weed out" those that were not really, really interested in Duke. I figured that hopefully that would make better odds for those of us who bothered... but after being complete for 2+ months, I am beginning to question my thought process! Oh well... :D •••

My thoughts exactly. :D I finished the secondary, and my application has been complete for about a week now (letters take a long time to reach the US these days...). I was hoping that not very many people would bother to complete the secondary... :D

Yes and yes. Though the 2ndary took me almost 2 days to complete.

Yes and no. I guess I'm one of the people that got "weeded out" by the secondary. To me, it wasn't just the length of the application, but also the questions themselves. Answering them would have required that I think of new answers -- not just recyle my answers from other applications -- and I was pretty burned out by the time I got around to Duke app.

BTW - I was nearly one of those weeded out by the secondary (I was not trying to sound preachy or holier-than-thou b/c I did it...) I let the two week deadline expire, and then I e-mailed them and they told me to turn it in ASAP, which ended up being two weeks later.. Maybe thats why they aren't showing me any love! Apparantly I have weeded myself out!

I completed the secondary on deadline Dec 15th. My 2 week deadline was in August! I receieved an interview 1 week later. I am not trying to brag but I want to show that they do not interview on a first-come frist-served basis. I would be one of the last to interview if that was the case (NOT THE CASE, I COULD HAVE CHOSEN DATES IN MARCH!!)

Also I believe when I searched on SDN for last year's application, it had 3 short answer essay questions and 1 essay (personal dilemma). Their app is 4 questions short of ours.

I think they were definitely trying to weed-out this year.

Who knows?

Bebe

Absolutely did not complete the secondary after listing Duke as one of my AMCAS schools. There are plenty of other excellent med schools that didn't have such a pain in the keister of a secondary application!

Good luck to all those less lazy than I!