Separate "experiences" item for significant leadership?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Daedalus

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all - tried searching for this one but couldn't find a good answer.

I've got a few groups and committees that I've been a member of for all 4 years of med school, and that I've held leadership positions in for only the past (or this) year. For one or two of these, the leadership position is significant enough that I feel it should have its own "experiences" item/thing/whatever - e.g. for one of these leadership positions, I personally rewrote a sizable chunk of my school's Student Handbook, etc.

Do most people just put "I was president of X during Z year..." in the description of the activity that is listed for all 4 years? Would it be frowned upon or seen as 'padding' if I did create a new item, even if only for one or two things like the one I described above? I want to make it clear that my intention is definitely not to "upsell" or "pad" my application - just to make sure that certain things don't get buried in other statements.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Sure, why not? I don't see any harm in doing it so long as those experiences were significant. I can't imagine most people caring THAT much about what experiences you listed but I think they would be impressed if a "leadership" experience sticks out while they quickly glance over experiences section.

Many people only list the "President of XYZ", and then in the description state that they were a member for 4 years, president their last year.