Separate LORs vs. Committee Letter

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

eldoctor

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I have acquired a few LORs (3 science, 1 nonscience), and I attend a school that, supposedly, writes very strong committee letters on behalf of the students. My question is, should I continue to gather LORs in the next year or will the committee letter be the most important letter? Although I am hoping each letter is very strong, I have not seen what any of the writers have submitted to the Pre-med Committee, so I can't say if the letters are strong or luke-warm.

Any tips? Do you guys generally ask to see the letter when the recommender writes it?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Sounds like you're doing great, and what you have will be sufficient more places than not.

If you're dying to get another letter, I'd look to get one from someone who's seen you in action volunteering or in a medical setting. But these letters are not always required; go after them if you have someone like that who can say that you rock in non-academic settings.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think it will depend on what type of committee letter your school offers. In my school the committee letter actually attaches the other LORs. So it becomes a packege AND a committe letter. From what i heard from multiple schools is that they want to see a committee letter with your application. And even more if they know that your school offers one. If you dont have one it doesnt mean u r not gonna get in, BUT i dont think i ll kill you to get one.

yea my school combines the committee letter and the individual recs i think. I always thought most did that but I guess not