separated/divorced parents

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

firex

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
i was just wondering how to enter this information on the secondaries, when the forms ask for info regarding your parents. for financial aid forms, i think you usually only list the parent who is providing financial support. is it the same for these appl forms, or should i list both?

also, has anyone ever had questions about their parents pop up during interviews?

thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Along the same lines, what if one parent isn't even in the country, but one is? Should I just list the one who is in the US or should I list both regardless?

firex said:
i was just wondering how to enter this information on the secondaries, when the forms ask for info regarding your parents. for financial aid forms, i think you usually only list the parent who is providing financial support. is it the same for these appl forms, or should i list both?

also, has anyone ever had questions about their parents pop up during interviews?

thanks.

Financial aid and admissions are generally separate-- your interviewers won't be getting copies of your financial aid forms (especially since people often interview before the stuff is turned in anyway).

As a heads up, most private schools (especially those that are generous with grants), require financial info from both parents, regardless of divorced status. You can usually get loans with just your info.

If you mentioned your parents in your personal statement or you have a physician parent, you can expect your parents to come up. Sometimes a from whom will you draw emotional support type question may also draw out your parents. I don't think parents are a routine topic though.

Members don't see this ad :)
my parents have been divorced for 7 years, I get no financial support from my mom, but my school's financial aid office still wanted, forms, FAFSAs, and 1040s/W2s from BOTH parents

wow are you serious? my parents divorced when i was 5. my mom & stepdad raised me so i assumed they'd want their info not my dad. i wonder how you handle that if you can't get income information from one of your parents? i mean, what do you do if you don't even know where the person is?

Scuba, i'm with you. my dad refused to file the FAFSA for all of undergrad, and I have absolutely no info on either parent's income. I think my mom might give it to me, but not my dad. As far as I have heard so far, I can still get loans, but nothing else.

To make matters worse, my parents just separated a couple months ago, and the nasty divorce won't be over for probably a year or two.

aahhh. had to vent a bit. thanks. :)

akpete said:
aahhh. had to vent a bit. thanks. :)

yeah this is pretty frustrating to me too. i mean, if we can prove we've been independent, paid for everything for ourselves, don't even live in the same friggin state as our parents, it seems we should not have to put their income. it's ridiculous. i mean, i can't claim new york residence simply because a parent lives there and thus get in state tuition, but yet i have to put their income so i don't get any grants/scholarships. and, what's worse, it seems i will just have to make up how much he makes since i haven't got a clue and it isn't like he's gonna give me that info. :thumbdown: :mad: