Sept mcat too late?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Canuck9000

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is sept mcat too late? Aacomas already verified but delaying my August mcat to sept 7, is that too late for this cycle?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
3.3 Cumulative 3.4 science, solid ECs/LORs. Take it in August, and then sign up for September retake?

It seems like you're a bit below average on the GPA, and Canadian (judging from the username). So if you can pull off a good score in August, that's probably better.

Not really. The DO cycle is longer than the one for MD schools. At the worst, you might interview in, say, Feb/Mar, instead of Nov/Dec if you had your packet in by now.

Is sept mcat too late? Aacomas already verified but delaying my August mcat to sept 7, is that too late for this cycle?

Not really. The DO cycle is longer than the one for MD schools. At the worst, you might interview in, say, Feb/Mar, instead of Nov/Dec if you had your packet in by now.

Goro,

How does one's chances of being accepted post a Feb/Mar interview vs. Nov/Dec? Typically, what percentage of total seats is still available by Feb/Mar?

3.3 Cumulative 3.4 science, solid ECs/LORs. Take it in August, and then sign up for September retake?

I would strongly recommend not retaking it until you get the results from the first test. There is nothing wrong with taking it in August and then again in Sept, but you better know for sure that you will do better in Sept than you did in August, and given the short time difference between the two, that is far from guaranteed. It looks bad if you take twice and get the same score, let alone if you score even one point lower the second time.

Goro,

How does one's chances of being accepted post a Feb/Mar interview vs. Nov/Dec? Typically, what percentage of total seats is still available by Feb/Mar?

From personal experience, most schools have <25% of their seats left by Feb, and some don't have any left. Nov/Dec is probably closer to 50% of their seats left (don't forget there is a traffic deadline in December, so when people can wait a bit longer to send in deposits and schools probably have a better idea of their seats left by the end of December). The problem is if you get an ii in November it might be for Jan because the other dates might all be taken, so its important to get secondaries in by October (or sooner), especially if you are on the low-end statwise. Good luck akh.

Last edited:
I took a September MCAT - applied in late December - interviewed at a few schools in February. Resulted in 3 acceptances. It can be done!

Members don't see this ad :)
Concur: DO schools have much longer cycle than the MD ones.

This is not the case with me, but if one were to apply early with subpar stats (say...3.2/3.2/23 very early on in the cycle, would they have a high chance of acceptance? I only ask b/c over in the MD section it seems almost suicide if you don't apply early. I keep on seeing DO threads with people asking about applying in late aug/sept and people telling them they'll be fine lol

This is not the case with me, but if one were to apply early with subpar stats (say...3.2/3.2/23 very early on in the cycle, would they have a high chance of acceptance? I only ask b/c over in the MD section it seems almost suicide if you don't apply early. I keep on seeing DO threads with people asking about applying in late aug/sept and people telling them they'll be fine lol

I think the 23 would be too low..

I think the 23 would be too low..

haha yeah, that'd be pushin it, i know. What would you say would be bear minimum if you apply very early? Not way out late aug/sept (relative to MD it is late)

Not too late like a poster above said if you can get a 29+ mcat... I know someone with similar GPAs to yours (3.4c/sGPA) and 29 mcat (mid September mcat) who got 2 acceptances (Nova and FIU) by mid January and declined/cancelled many iis after that... His ECs were stellar...

I took mine in Sept 3 years ago, scored well (30) and still got interviews/accepted for that cycle. I didn't submit initial apps till Oct/Nov.

Not ideal, but if you do well enough you'll get looks.

I screwed myself over doing this last year, but I had significantly lower GPAs than you and a mediocre MCAT. As long as you do really well on the MCAT you should be fine, like SLC said it's not an ideal situation, but it's not a death sentence either.

sidenote/ not sure how your canuck-yness will affect things so be sure to call the schools you are interested in and ask them :)

Contacted some schools, some said that it would be late but not too bad, and would more likely interview( if offered) January/February. Seems like schools are starting interviews earlier this year.

Touro-NY said I should aim for 30+ with 11 in Bio

KCOM/NOVA both said late, but still should apply and referenced rolling admission..

MSU is apparently starting acceptances in September..so probably the Canadian spots will be gone..

So get a 30+ and hope for the best :oops:

Contacted some schools, some said that it would be late but not too bad, and would more likely interview( if offered) January/February. Seems like schools are starting interviews earlier this year.

Touro-NY said I should aim for 30+ with 11 in Bio

KCOM/NOVA both said late, but still should apply and referenced rolling admission..

MSU is apparently starting acceptances in September..so probably the Canadian spots will be gone..

So get a 30+ and hope for the best :oops:

Did Touro lose its mind or something?

Actually, Touro-NY is rumored to be quite picky this cycle. They want high stats, in particular the Bio section.

Supply and demand.

I won't be surprised if half their class is pulled from wait listed applicants. Simply put the supply is not there.

I won't be surprised if half their class is pulled from wait listed applicants. Simply put the supply is not there.

Idk man times are tough, and getting into med school is already hard as it is. I think there's more than enough people willing to apply and be grateful for a spot at Touro

Idk man times are tough, and getting into med school is already hard as it is. I think there's more than enough people willing to apply and be grateful for a spot at Touro

I'd agree with this, way more competent applicants than seats.

Actually, Touro-NY is rumored to be quite picky this cycle. They want high stats, in particular the Bio section.

Supply and demand.

They are "rumored" to be picky every cycle. The same statements were made last year. While its true they prefer a high MCAT (heard it from the Dean himself) and especially a high bio subsection score, their average is still around 28. You don't need a 30 to get in. There are plenty of people getting in with lower scores.

Just like anything else, be a solid applicant (well balanced all around), and you will be fine. Plus it helps to be a NY (or more specifically NYC) resident. They seem to get accepted first.

In addition, since they are filling their midtown campus soon and most of their more qualified applicants are also applying to the many other NY med schools that already take lots of people off their waitlist, it wouldn't surprise me at all if they got 1/3 of their class from their waitlist.

That's true about any school, but you still see many of them having major waitlist movement. It wouldn't surprise me at all if their acceptance MCAT average was like 30-31, but their matriculant average was still around 28. Sure you have a better chance of a straight acceptance with a 30, but its certainly not required.

I'd agree with this, way more competent applicants than seats.

While this is generally true, Touro, like many schools near many other medical schools have to see a lot of waitlist movement, because honestly many people would also be grateful to go to SUNY or NYMC when they get off the waitlist.

Last edited:
Did Touro lose its mind or something?

I guess their mcat average is probably 29+... I guess in that case it would not be crazy to suggest OP to get a 11+ in BS

Last edited:
I guess their mcat average is probably 29+... I guess in that case it would not be crazy to suggest OP to get a 11+ in BS

I'm doubtful they somehow managed to overtake the average of more established schools in less than a year. They'll max out at 3.4/27 until the more established schools hit 30s.