September DAT?! Advice!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sammy1994

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So im schedules to take my DAT August 30 and idk if I feel fully ready. Do I have a chance of getting in if I take it on September 10? I already submitted my application. The only thing schools are waiting on is my DAT. I have submitted my secondary apps as well. Please give me
Some advice if I should move it back or just take it on the 30th?!

Members don't see this ad.

So im schedules to take my DAT August 30 and idk if I feel fully ready. Do I have a chance of getting in if I take it on September 10? I already submitted my application. The only thing schools are waiting on is my DAT. I have submitted my secondary apps as well. Please give me
Some advice if I should move it back or just take it on the 30th?!

It'll take 2-4 weeks for ADEA to upload your DAT to AADSAS and then it'll take whatever time AADSAS takes (usually 1-2 weeks) to send out to schools. So if you take it August 30, schools won't be able to review you until end of September of beginning October. And that's pretending if the schools do it right away which they won't. You'd be hitting the application deadlines for a few schools beginning November and December so I would say that if you're not ready, then postpone. Timeline wise, it doesn't make a big difference because it's already kind of late. But! And I say but, you can still get in and plenty of people have done so taking it much later.

Also, remember that you need to wait 90 days to retest if you do very bad. So if you feel you may not get anything above a 19, then wait.

It'll take 2-4 weeks for ADEA to upload your DAT to AADSAS and then it'll take whatever time AADSAS takes (usually 1-2 weeks) to send out to schools. So if you take it August 30, schools won't be able to review you until end of September of beginning October. And that's pretending if the schools do it right away which they won't. You'd be hitting the application deadlines for a few schools beginning November and December so I would say that if you're not ready, then postpone. Timeline wise, it doesn't make a big difference because it's already kind of late. But! And I say but, you can still get in and plenty of people have done so taking it much later.

Also, remember that you need to wait 90 days to retest if you do very bad. So if you feel you may not get anything above a 19, then wait.

Okay thank you! I called a few schools some said September is okay if I think I'll do better, others said didn't give a definite answer

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
Okay thank you! I called a few schools some said September is okay if I think I'll do better, others said didn't give a definite answer

No problem. This is for your first attempt or second?

No problem. This is for your first attempt or second?

This is my first time taking it! I've been scoring around 18-19 on prac exams. And I don't feel too good about the PAT section. I feel like I could definitely improve by August 30, but I'm confused if 10 extra days would help a lot or not

if you have have a chance of getting in at aug 10 then you should have a chance of getting in at aug 30 too... and i believe 20 days of studying makes a big difference for the DAT

if you have have a chance of getting in at aug 10 then you should have a chance of getting in at aug 30 too... and i believe 20 days of studying makes a big difference for the DAT

I'm scheduled for August 30, and I'm debating about moving it to September 10!

This is my first time taking it! I've been scoring around 18-19 on prac exams. And I don't feel too good about the PAT section. I feel like I could definitely improve by August 30, but I'm confused if 10 extra days would help a lot or not

I don't think anything magical will happen in 10 days lol but I guess each productive day does add up so it is back to how you feel. If you can do good the first time then you won't have to retake. I've taken it 3 times. Not fun and definitely costs a lot.

See how you feel in another 10 days maybe! Keep at it and don't give up! The DAT is important and you only want to take it once if you can.

I don't think anything magical will happen in 10 days lol but I guess each productive day does add up so it is back to how you feel. If you can do good the first time then you won't have to retake. I've taken it 3 times. Not fun and definitely costs a lot.

haha make sure to review your stuffs and do practice exams in a test simulating environment... and get some good nights sleep!

my DAT breakdown has practice scores + real DAT scores that you can compare

i wouldnt worry. It only takes like 2 weeks for adea to send out your scores and they send them directly to the schools you select so you dont have to worry about waiting for aadsas to send it out. Plus if you want your scores in faster, most schools are okay with you emailing them your unofficial score report right after you take the DAT. I did this last year.

Reactions: 1 user
I was told the latest to take the DAT and be ok is end of September, as schools have interviewed 70% of the people they will be accepting by October. So submit your primary now if you haven't yet and make sure you have everything in so your app gets verified before you take your DAT, and then when you do it'll take about 1-2 weeks to post your scores and you'll be mailed out before the end of September!

Reactions: 1 user
I was told the latest to take the DAT and be ok is end of September, as schools have interviewed 70% of the people they will be accepting by October. So submit your primary now if you haven't yet and make sure you have everything in so your app gets verified before you take your DAT, and then when you do it'll take about 1-2 weeks to post your scores and you'll be mailed out before the end of September!

Okay thank you! I have my primary and most seconday submitted! I called some schools and they were ok with it. And said if I think I'll score higher in September then to take it then :)

Personally, I'd postpone a little longer if you feel you have to. You only want to take this test once if you can, it's quite arduous.

And don't worry about a slightly later submission of DAT scores! I wrote Nov 7th and submitted my entire application on Nov 27th. You should be in a good place even if you push the test date back.

Personally, I'd postpone a little longer if you feel you have to. You only want to take this test once if you can, it's quite arduous.

And don't worry about a slightly later submission of DAT scores! I wrote Nov 7th and submitted my entire application on Nov 27th. You should be in a good place even if you push the test date back.

You got in with a November test and app submission?

You got in with a November test and app submission?
Applied to 7 schools, 4 interviews, and 2 acceptances. Applying late is not wise, but it's not a deal breaker either apparently.

At this point I don't think 10 days will make a difference in your application, so I would push it back. That 10 extra days can only help you, so use that time wisely.