September PCAT scores released

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

foodishgood

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
And I did not do so well on the English portion. I don't know where to start studying for the verbal/reading/writing section (especially the analogy stuff) since I feel my language is 90% set already, any tips?

my English scores are beyond statistically horrible that it drag my composite to 40

As for the Math,Chem,Bio I did well but I could still see room for improvements!
 
I did horrible on the writing, I'm hoping they ignore that score lol My topics were so freaking random, i had no knowledge of either of the "problems" presented to me. I just BS'd some stuff and tried to make it sound coherent.
 
And I did not do so well on the English portion. I don't know where to start studying for the verbal/reading/writing section (especially the analogy stuff) since I feel my language is 90% set already, any tips?

Normally, it's very difficult to study for VA and RC unless if you've enjoyed reading for a long time. It tends to be natural for science-inclined people to suffer in those categories on the PCAT, but make it up in QA, chem and bio. If you feel like you still have room for improvement for QA, chem, and bio, work on those; don't put such a huge priority on VA and RC and instead just understand the test-taking strategies behind them if you have yet to do so.

My $0.02.
 
Normally, it's very difficult to study for VA and RC unless if you've enjoyed reading for a long time. It tends to be natural for science-inclined people to suffer in those categories on the PCAT, but make it up in QA, chem and bio. If you feel like you still have room for improvement for QA, chem, and bio, work on those; don't put such a huge priority on VA and RC and instead just understand the test-taking strategies behind them if you have yet to do so.

This is THE best advise for anyone retaking the PCAT. I fully agree with everything you mentioned.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
And I did not do so well on the English portion. I don't know where to start studying for the verbal/reading/writing section (especially the analogy stuff) since I feel my language is 90% set already, any tips?

Normally, it's very difficult to study for VA and RC unless if you've enjoyed reading for a long time. It tends to be natural for science-inclined people to suffer in those categories on the PCAT, but make it up in QA, chem and bio. If you feel like you still have room for improvement for QA, chem, and bio, work on those; don't put such a huge priority on VA and RC and instead just understand the test-taking strategies behind them if you have yet to do so.

My $0.02.
Absolutely agree with you!!
I got 96% all combined but my verbal section is only 15 percentile!
Anyone aiming for a 90 should study hard for their science section and totally ignore verbal if you are good at science and suck at English! I think just based on guessing you guys can do better than 15%!
 
And I did not do so well on the English portion. I don't know where to start studying for the verbal/reading/writing section (especially the analogy stuff) since I feel my language is 90% set already, any tips?

my English scores are beyond statistically horrible that it drag my composite to 40

As for the Math,Chem,Bio I did well but I could still see room for improvements!

Someone in one of the other threads posted a link to a site that helps with verbal. It's called freerice.com and they have an extensive vocab. section that helps with word practice and such. I've been spending 20-30 minutes daily going through their word lists. There are 60 vocab. levels ranging from 1 to 60; words are extremely easy to extremely difficulty. I've only managed to get to level 29.

As far as reading comprehension, try subscribing to a few newsletters. I get daily email newsletters from the CDC, SAMHSA, AHHA (American Holistic Health Association), science journals, and others. I read through these daily to help with reading science based context and I practice answering questions I think would be given on the PCAT.

In terms of the writing section, I tend to do well here (I've always scored above average). Writing has always been one of my strong points which is why I don't bother to "study", per se, for this section. However, I would recommend practicing by choosing topics - any topic - in which you would brainstorm solutions to a problem. Practice writing an introduction, 2 to 3 supporting paragraphs that lay out solutions to said problem, and a conclusion.

Hope this helps. :luck:
 
Last edited: