September PCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

I have been studying so much, honestly I just can't wait until this exam is over and done with.

Not sure if this will help you, but the way I started prepping for the new material is that I printed out the new blueprint of the exam. And I wrote down which chapters out of my textbooks cover the material that's covered. And I've been just been reviewing or even having to read new material to fill in the gaps of what I know.

Be familiar with the main bacteria and viruses and the diseases they cause. Gram negative vs. gram positive bacteria. Know your anatomy. And do a lot of math practice because people on the forum have been complaining about running out of time.
 
I'm not ready to take the test, currently, but I'm not tripping balls like so many people are. I'm definitely well-prepared to smash the inorganic chemistry section and relatively confident with o-chem, as long as the test doesn't throw out some crazy reaction/synthesis problem.

My only concern is the microbio portion since I have yet to take that class in college. I know the bare basics, but in terms of diseases and such, I'm completely lost.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm worrying especially because school is starting up again. my main problem is trying to study for school stuff and review for pcat.

AGH!!!!!

and i need to step up my game in math. i'm solving the problems so slow 🙁 anyone know any websites for practice??? especially with calculus problems?
 
Pcat is slowly taking over my life lol. I wasn't too happy with my July score (70) so I bought Dr. Collins and am just focusing on that. Good luck to everyone🙂
 
I'm worrying especially because school is starting up again. my main problem is trying to study for school stuff and review for pcat.

AGH!!!!!

and i need to step up my game in math. i'm solving the problems so slow 🙁 anyone know any websites for practice??? especially with calculus problems?
I feel you!!!!!!!!!!!!! I haven't taken and done math in like 4 years so im super slow even with simple math T__T

But I got better from practicing, I just search the math topics on youtube and they have a lot of ppl posting videos on how to do it
 
I'm worrying especially because school is starting up again. my main problem is trying to study for school stuff and review for pcat.

AGH!!!!!

and i need to step up my game in math. i'm solving the problems so slow 🙁 anyone know any websites for practice??? especially with calculus problems?

http://www.calculus.org

Their are tutorials, questions and and like live animation from like 20 institutions from all over North America.

This pre-calc questions reminiscent of High school and honestly I had no idea how I solved them back then. I feel like going back to teacher and asking her lol 4 years later.
 
Test is next week... 😱
PChem, Quant, BioChem, Labs, are not helping my studying... Except maybe for my BioChem class. But homework in each, pre-labs, and quizzes are leaving me with less time than I would like to study. I think I'm going to have to miss a few homeworks this weekend. PCAT takes priority.
Good luck to all.
 
Test is next week... 😱
PChem, Quant, BioChem, Labs, are not helping my studying... Except maybe for my BioChem class. But homework in each, pre-labs, and quizzes are leaving me with less time than I would like to study. I think I'm going to have to miss a few homeworks this weekend. PCAT takes priority.
Good luck to all.

Goodness, when i took Pchem, Qchem, and Biochem with labs, ALL in one semester, i almost DIED. But those courses definitely help for the PCAT material, Pchem and Q.chem are helpful for the Chem section on the PCAT, just more on crack. i loved biochem, lol. luckily its still fresh in your head, you're going to do great!

my test is in a week too, good luck to you!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
im honestly over studying for anything period at this.

I cant keep up with (physics, micro, pchem, labs AND PCAT)

So I just sleep all day.

LOL (I think)
 
did any of yall take the kaplan practice pcat just now? i thought i got destroyed

verbal 446 79%
bio 445 79%
chem 511 92%
rc 400 63%
qa 450 71%
comp 450

is that good or bad?
 
did any of yall take the kaplan practice pcat just now? i thought i got destroyed

verbal 446 79%
bio 445 79%
chem 511 92%
rc 400 63%
qa 450 71%
comp 450

is that good or bad?
The Kaplan tests are not adjusted for the percentage grading system thats actually used. Im also not sure if they took out plant bio and animal bio from the bio sections, did they? But a comp of 450 is actually very good. Take the pearson practice tests for a better way to measure how youll do on the real PCAT
 
yeah kaplan didnt take out the plant/fungi questions thats why my bio is a bit lower than what i usually get. i took all 3 pearson practice tests. on all 3 i got around 90% in bio, 95% chem, 85-90% verbal, 80-85% math, 65-70% reading
 
Does anyone know if we get like a few minutes break between each component?

No, you don't. The moment you hit "End Subset", the next section (and Timer) begins. I got through the Biology pretty quickly so I just left it on the last question while I jotted down notes and formulas I wanted quick reference to for upcoming Subsets.

The only break you get is the 15 min scheduled one after the Chemistry Section. And don't take too long cause the timer starts after 15 minutes whether you logged back in or not. I lost like 2 minutes off my second essay because of that.

Good luck to all those whose test is coming up. I'm glad mine's done with!
 
I have a copy of the updated Dr. Collins. Message me if you want to talk about it. I scored an 85 composite with it.
I am really worried about being prepared for the exam especially with the new update.
I don't know how in depth I should know micrbio as I have not taken the course.
And I don't think Kaplan book preps you for it.

Thanks
 
I am really worried about being prepared for the exam especially with the new update.
I don't know how in depth I should know micrbio as I have not taken the course.
And I don't think Kaplan book preps you for it.

Thanks

I took the PCAT yesterday and I didn't have a microbio class under my belt either. I kinda had to improvise fast and come up with a study plan for that so I went to the site below.

http://pharmopia.com/index.php/welcome/index/

I highly suggest that you make an account on that site and do the practice tests for microbio (it's free to make an account and take a test, currently). I knew some microbio just off of reading articles and textbooks on my free time, but I never would have gotten far if I didn't take the microbio practice tests there. If I got an answer wrong, I took notes down based on the explanation they give you.
 
Ahh! I take mine in two days...

I took a diagnostic Kaplan test today and it said my overall score was 362....is that good? bad? I don't know what to think really...

I'm taking organic I right now and I have never taken micro...took calc. last semester and am okay with that for the test at least. I'm just so nervous because I only have 3.1 GPA b/c of some stupid history and poli. sci classes that brought it down so low...other than that, my math and science GPA is pretty nice.

As for the PCAT, I have been study Dr. Collin's like crazy and kaplan , but i'm so burnt out...any advice on what to do?! PCAT is in two days...FML!!!
 
Last edited:
Ahh! I take mine in two days...

I took a diagnostic Kaplan test today and it said my overall score was 362....is that good? bad? I don't know what to think really...

I'm taking organic I right now and I have never taken micro...took calc. last semester and am okay with that for the test at least. I'm just so nervous because I only have 3.1 GPA b/c of some stupid history and poli. sci classes that brought it down so low...other than that, my math and science GPA is pretty nice.

As for the PCAT, I have been study Dr. Collin's like crazy and kaplan , but i'm so burnt out...any advice on what to do?! PCAT is in two days...FML!!!
The Kaplan test isnt like the real thing, thats what ive heard from some people and Kaplan didnt update their test to match the updated PCAT. Have you taken the pearson practice tests? Theyre a better measure of how well youll do. But if you studied the Collins you should do well, and I would recommend taking a break the day before your PCAT. Make sure youre relaxed the day before so you wont be too stressed the next day.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
The Kaplan test isnt like the real thing, thats what ive heard from some people and Kaplan didnt update their test to match the updated PCAT. Have you taken the pearson practice tests? Theyre a better measure of how well youll do. But if you studied the Collins you should do well, and I would recommend taking a break the day before your PCAT. Make sure youre relaxed the day before so you wont be too stressed the next day.

The dreaded question of how does pearson match up to the actual pcat. verbal is the same, bio harder, chem easier/same as pearson, reading F'IN HARD, math... ugh calc was INSANE! and the questions were set up where its hard to plug in the answer. 🙁 🙁

verbal 78
bio 95
chem 98
reading 41 🙁
math 85

composite 92!!!
 
Hey all! I took the PCAT today for the first time (I'm a little behind counting on I'm applying for Fall 2013).. and I got a composite of 81!!

I was excited about it--kind of until I noticed I got a 43% on Reading!
I was wondering if anyone knows how difficult will it be for me to get in anywhere with that.

I had:
Verbal 78
Biology 82
Reading 43
Quantitative Ability 82
Chemistry 85
Composite 81

GPA 3.55

Thanks!!
 
Hey all! I took the PCAT today for the first time (I'm a little behind counting on I'm applying for Fall 2013).. and I got a composite of 81!!

I was excited about it--kind of until I noticed I got a 43% on Reading!
I was wondering if anyone knows how difficult will it be for me to get in anywhere with that.

I had:
Verbal 78
Biology 82
Reading 43
Quantitative Ability 82
Chemistry 85
Composite 81

GPA 3.55

Thanks!!

how was it? easy or hard? i'm taking mine in two days...super nervous! how was chem and bio?!!! depends on the school of your choice and how they rank your subscores...
 
Honestly, the entire way through I thought it was horrible! Well, just more difficult that I expected. But I'm pleased with my score.. I expected to get in the 70's, so I'll take the 81. There was a lot of microbiology, so I was happy I reviewed that literally yesterday. But just think positively throughout the entire test, even if you think a sub section is difficult, and I'm sure you will be fine! Good luck!
 
I just took the test this morning, having had no sleep and a muffin, not to mention being nauseated after the drive 🙄 Anyway, here's the breakdown:

V.A. 423 82%
Biology 411 63%
R.C. 459 99%
Q.A. 447 97%
Chemistry 91%

Composite 435 97%

It was a weird experience. I thought I prepared well for bio (relatively... I read Kaplan's 1 hour/day for 2 weeks). I pretty much relied on doing well in gen chem to pull the chem score up, having just started organic 1. I spent 2 hours the night before reading on reaction mechanisms but I doubt much of that retained, since I was reading them for the first time. I haven't touched any math since senior year of H.S., and gave up studying GRE words after looking at 10 of them. Those damn lists are so boring.

In short, I bombed what I put some effort reviewing, and somehow pulled through the stuff I thought was a toss-up. The funniest thing? My highest score was in R.C. and I'm not an avid reader. Hell, I'm not even a native English speaker.

Cheers, guys, and good luck on your PCAT.
 
I just took the test this morning, having had no sleep and a muffin, not to mention being nauseated after the drive 🙄 Anyway, here's the breakdown:

V.A. 423 82%
Biology 411 63%
R.C. 459 99%
Q.A. 447 97%
Chemistry 91%

Composite 435 97%

It was a weird experience. I thought I prepared well for bio (relatively... I read Kaplan's 1 hour/day for 2 weeks). I pretty much relied on doing well in gen chem to pull the chem score up, having just started organic 1. I spent 2 hours the night before reading on reaction mechanisms but I doubt much of that retained, since I was reading them for the first time. I haven't touched any math since senior year of H.S., and gave up studying GRE words after looking at 10 of them. Those damn lists are so boring.

In short, I bombed what I put some effort reviewing, and somehow pulled through the stuff I thought was a toss-up. The funniest thing? My highest score was in R.C. and I'm not an avid reader. Hell, I'm not even a native English speaker.

Cheers, guys, and good luck on your PCAT.

Wow! That's freaking awesome! I take mine on Wednesday and I'm super nervous:scared:...I have been studying from Kaplan/ Dr. Collin's...how were the bio and chem sections? those are what i'm most worried about, i'm good at math and most of the english i would say.

any tips you can offer? thanks :xf:
 
I just took the PCAT for the first time this morning. Here are my preliminary percentiles. I think these are decent scores given the fact that I haven't taken microbiology or anatomy and am only just one month into Organic I this semester.

Verbal 87
Biology 74
RC 29 (I ran out of time and started guessing on last 10 questions).
Quantit 91
Chem 93

Composite 85
 
Wow! That's freaking awesome! I take mine on Wednesday and I'm super nervous:scared:...I have been studying from Kaplan/ Dr. Collin's...how were the bio and chem sections? those are what i'm most worried about, i'm good at math and most of the english i would say.

any tips you can offer? thanks :xf:

I was pretty relaxed when I took the test (although it helped that I got into an isolated room instead of sitting near the other frenzied test takers 🙄). That, I think, was the most important part - I treated the test as a silly toy I could have fun with; after all, it's only my 1st test, and there are schools that don't even need the PCAT.

The essays: give whatever solution that sounds like it would solve the case. It doesn't matter if what you propose is ridiculous. Just explain why the problem is the way it is, give 2 solutions with appropriate details, write a conclusion, and move on. I didn't do any pre-writing or anything like that, and saved myself 5 minutes per essay which I used to revise.

Science: you have to know your stuff, period. Kaplan bio is ok for anatomy, but didn't cover microbiology at all. As for chemistry, I applied general chem knowledge where I could, and guessed on the rest. I don't own Collin's; Kaplan was all I had.

RC: I basically read the first sentence of every passage, and ignored the rest, unless the question specifically asks what was used to support the argument or whatever. I interpreted everything as literally as possible - if it's not mentioned, don't assume it. I got 10 minutes to spare at the end, and I got bored.

Math: make quick decisions about whether you want to solve the problem or not. I found many easy questions near the end of the test, so I didn't want to waste time. I didn't try to solve more than 2 integrals. If you can just approximate the solution, do it. Otherwise, put a B or C to everything you're not sure on and end your misery.

I think that's all I have to say. Laugh at the exam the entire time if it makes you comfortable. I know I did. 😉